Built the "mystery rod"

sdtrout

Reaction score
Finished up the rod using the "mystery blank" from the conversation a couple threads down. I think it turned out pretty descent. Started with one of the birch bark grips I made a while back.The lighting makes the blank look a bit more red than it really is. I used "chestnut" brown thread. Once finished it actually matches the blank pretty well. Made my own label decal.

Like all of the rods I've built, it isn't perfect but it'll fish. I plan to break it in well next week in Idaho. Comments and critiques? Thanks for looking.

Royce

Attachments

sdtrout

Reaction score
What a beautiful rod. Great job and well done. What type action is it?

I really like the grip on it.
Thanks. It seems a bit faster action than most of my medium fast rods. However, perhaps not quite as fast as the one fast action rod I own. Going to have to do a bit of work to match a line to it.

sdtrout

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Now I feel compelled to tell you "the rest of the story"...

A few weeks ago I went on a fishing trip with my two longest tenured friends, Jim and Mike. While were sitting around the cabin one night, melting some ice cubes, Mike noticed the rod I had built for Jim a few years ago for his 50th birthday. Mike said, "You made this for Jim;s 50th?" I replied, "Yes." To which Mike replied, "You know, I turn 70 in a couple months". OK, message received.

Mike dropped me off at home from that trip at 8:30 PM on Tuesday, July 17th. At 6:30 AM on Thursday, July 19th, Mike died. I decided I needed to build his rod anyway. I plan to FISH THE *#@+ OUT OF IT!

Thanks for letting me tell the story.

Royce