Short light switch rod

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
X posted . I wanted a short glass switch but couldn't find one so I built it .

I started with an 8' Aventek s-glass blank that was baby chit yellow . I stripped it and wet sanded the heck out of it starting with 400 wet or dry and progressed up to 2000 . I originally wanted to change the color to a Sunkist yellow/orange but once I stripped the blank it kind of grew on me so I kept it bare . I used all Pac Bay single foots and a Pack Bay ext butt kit using a half wells cork handle from who knows where ? I bought a cheap aluminum reel seat off ebay and went to work . What I ended up with is a sub 5-oz s-glass Switch rod in a 3/4 wt with really nice action for right at $100 . I cant wait to fish it .
Please forgive the vertical picture , when I inserted it the picture was horizontal .

Attachments

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Great looking fly rod. I can imagine what it looked liked before. The gold wraps look nice on the bare blank. Do you like single foot better than snake?

My tendinitis lately makes me want a fighting butt on a 3wt.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Great looking fly rod. I can imagine what it looked liked before. The gold wraps look nice on the bare blank. Do you like single foot better than snake?

My tendinitis lately makes me want a fighting butt on a 3wt.
Thanks Steve . The original color was horrible ! I like the looks better that snakes . Some people say they are lighter but if they are it's so slight it wont make a difference . They were a little tricky to wrap until I got my method down now they aren't bad .

If you have a 3wt you want a butt put on it's really easy . I'll do it for you if you need or want it .