Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default Reel Seat Modification

I posted this on instagram, but I thought I would share a photo here too...another winter project with a done checkmark. I've been wanting to do this for years, but just didn't have the courage to do it until now. This 7'6" 3wt ZG Helios ION rod was my only graphite 3wt that I owned for about 10 years. It's a great rod...Orvis terminology says it is a Mid Flex 7.5 which to me translated to a medium-firm rod that worked perfectly in my small streams. The only thing I didn't like about it was the bright gold hardware on the reel seat!!! So, this year I decided to change it.

The job was much easier than I thought...it just required me to turn down the original cork spacer a little and modify the butt end to accept the new cap and ring hardware. I went back and forth on whether to install nickel silver or black anodized hardware...went with black.

This is my back-up rod now that I acquired a new 3wt last year, but I will take it to a stream a couple times this year just to honor the fun it has given me over the past years. Wish I had changed the hardware much earlier...

MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mka133

2. Likes jeepster II, lacanadio, jofer liked this post

Default Re: Reel Seat Modification

Great looking work mike. I've been wanting to replace a reel seat on my 5wt bamboo. There's never enough time.
    steve

4. Likes mka liked this post

I've had to replace a reel seat that was similar to that
    I pushed the locking washer down hard too many times and the butt end broke the cork right off.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes mka liked this post

Thanks guys!
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mka133

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I've had to replace a reel seat that was similar to that
    I pushed the locking washer down hard too many times and the butt end broke the cork right off.
    I was actually thinking and worried about that. I tried to make sure the epoxy was on both the end of the rod blank as well as the cork when installing the cap...thinking if I had a bond to the plastic it would minimize the possibility of breaking off the cork. Hopefully it works...if not, I'll just put a wood spacer on it the next time.
    @mka133

9. Likes Rip Tide liked this post