Building a rod again

runningfish

Reaction score
Well back to building again....sorta... after 4 years of void. This time because the "voice" in head told me that I needed a 7wt spey rod :jaw:
I Called Steve Godshall and asked him to procure a blank and to work on the grips for me. I've always asked him to work on the double hand grips as his works are just excellent and rationally priced. And they balance so well with the rod with a mix of rubber, composite, and premium cork grade.
I believed this would be my number 15 and my 5th double hand rod build.

Had to open some boxes looking for old threads, epoxy, etc last night and will probably make some warm up wraps before start wrapping it next weekend or ......next year.

I am planning just to do simple quick non decorative wraps with dark threads to keep it low profile and light. Was planning to wrap it with silk threads but don't think it's a good idea for a rod that heavy with thin epoxy finish. shoot....this just reminds me that I need go get some alcohol to thin the epoxy.....this going to be a slow lazy build.

by the way, the blank is Gary Anderson 7wt 12'7" Elite, the last rod I built was also a Gary Anderson Elite switch 2wt 10'8" or maybe 10'10". I valued highly Gary's blank as much as Bob's, they are just unbeatable especially if you are building them yourselves........and building a double hand isn't hard at all; you just need to wrap more guides..that's all.

Go get 'em guys.

ravenbc

Reaction score
Silk will be fine on a 7wt spey rod, but nylon is far easier and faster to wrap with. Silk may in fact be stronger as they will be more wraps as it is a smaller diameter etc. Where you will struggle with silk is climbing the stripper guide feet, just make sure you back off on the thread tension untill you have climbed the foot.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ravenbc

Reaction score
Here is a 13ft ARE 7/8wt Spey I did with Silk wraps.

runningfish

Reaction score
Hi Raven, that is a great build. Congratulation.

Yep, you were right about the silk will have more wraps than the nylon. You made me remember the James Green that I built with black silk, I had to file the stripping guide feet and still shown a bit gap after the epoxy. see the 1st picture closely and you can see the gap. That gap wasn't seen during the wrapping but popped up after the epoxy settled down.

by the way, James Green blank is soooooooo sweet. I sold it to a buyer in Japan for a nice profit.

DSC09521.jpg

DSC09391.jpg

DSC09401.jpg

Last edited:

ravenbc

Reaction score
Thanks, I love the look of transparent silk wraps on glass.

flav

Reaction score
I know you'll like that Anderson blank. Steve sold me one of Gary's blanks, one that Steve helped design, a few years ago and it's one of the nicest 2 handers I've ever cast. Steve's cork work is awesome too, that's going to be a great build. Did he line it for you too?

runningfish

Reaction score
Hi Flav,

Yes I am going to ask Steve to line the rod when they time comes, it probably be a full intermediate head and will have him enforce the loop even more since I usually tied my mirage running line straight to the head instead of loop to loop.

Raven.......
I wrapped pic 686 Salsa blank before with transparent wrap and was too ambitious with "expert" technique, the result was OK but kinda botched the job.
You should go and wrap EPIC 888-4 with transparent wrap too....it is such a beautiful and powerful blank. This one was to some in Florida in 2014.

DSC09529.jpg

I am looking for an economical bamboo double hand blank just so that I can experience building a bamboo rod, so if someone knows a good source, please let me know.

As for this build I might just go with YLI white silk threads since that I have left that perhaps going to be enough for the entire build, don't wanna buy a new roll just to have it join the other 1/2 used rolls.

Attachments

Last edited:

runningfish

Reaction score
Finished the wrapping with green accent and a bit of decorative touch on the butt section. Should I go with white instead of gold for the font?

P3200007.jpg

P3200008.jpg