fiberglass blanks

glassroddr

Reaction score
I need help in finding a good source to purchase a glass blank at a reasonable price since this will be my first try at rod building. Maybe along the lines of a Lamiglass. Or maybe someone knows another brand. Thanks.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I would PM Joni to get a response on this. Sorry I can't help you out. She fishes glass a lot and builds glass rods as well.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Can't say enough good thngs about the guys at mudhole tackle. They are rod builders and understand the "quest" to build what you want. If they don't have it they will take the time to look for it and you can find some great deals on their clearance and liquidation sales.
Hope this helps
-Marco

Fiberglass Fly

mojo

Reaction score
It's in what you want to pay. How much are you looking to spend. We can find an inexpensive spinning rod you can turn into a fly rod (lots of people have done it) or- for e-glass, Lamiglass Honey blanks start at about $70 for a 6'6" 3w (2pc.) up to $150 for a 8' 5w 6pc. The Spring Creek is a brown color glass and they're about $55 for a 3w and around $70 for a 7'6" 4w. (Just finished up wrapping one for a Project Healing Waters rod). I don't see much difference in the honey or the SC in the 7'6" 4w's. And there's only two models in the Spring Creek.
Then, you can get a little more expensive and go a Steffan Brothers- S glass which is faster than E-glass, and Mark will make one for you to your specs. Tell him what you are using it for, and have him suggest a blank for you. Steffan blanks are $120 for a 2 pc. up to $185 for a 4pc.( these prices were correct last time I checked) Different weights come in different pc configurations. You'd have to talk to him.
Then we have one of my favorite rods, McFarland. He uses E-glass. He'll build them to your specs too. His prices are $185 for a 2 or 3 pc. blank.
Tom Morgan has new blanks out in a ruby red color. $295 for a blank. Kerry Burkheimer is supposed to be rolling these.
There is another blank line- Kettle Creek rods. Vince Cummings designed I think. A guy named Phil Baldacchino has Kettle Creek Tackle Shop in Pennsylvania. No internet, just phone and fax. I think his prices are in the $75 range for blanks. Guys I know love the blanks.
One more place, it's costly too, is Rick's Rods out of Denver. I think you can get Phillipson blanks or rod kit's but you're looking at least $200 or $300- you'd have to call him, but there's some W&M Trevarno glass rod blanks for cheap.
Right now I can't think of any more makes of blank lines. So, if you want to go cheap, middle of the road, or into some bucks, it's your choice.
Anglersworkshop and Mudhole carries Lamiglas, McFarland Rod Company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, Rick's Rods and Steffan Brothers have websites. Phil has a phone and fax.

glassroddr

Reaction score
Thanks Mojo, you sure know your stuff. Next time I have a question about 'glass, I'll go straight to the source. First thing is figuring what budget I will put on this project and go from there.

mojo

Reaction score
The spinning rod blank most folks use is the Batson SPG780
they go for somewhere around 12-15 bucks
Yes, that's the model I was referring to.
Also just found out today Mudhole's carrying 4w 7'6" Lami Honey's in a 1 pc. configuration

glassroddr

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, just got home from work. Thanks for all the input! I checked around quickly at Steffen Bros, Lamiglas and the blanks at Mudhole. I have to admit that the Steffen are very tempting in a 3 weight. But this being a first rod, I'm hesitant and it would be logical to use a low price blank such as a Batson. On the Diamondglass site, they still list the glass blanks. I heard that they have been discontinued??

BigCliff

Reaction score
Bumping this because I'm also interested in this $15 Batson blank to get started with glass. Do y'all know what size line is normally cast with it? I think I could deal with it as a 1 piece rod just fine. (takes tape measure to Forester)

BigCliff

Reaction score
"Originally Posted by Rip Tide
The spinning rod blank most folks use is the Batson SPG780
they go for somewhere around 12-15 bucks"

Bumping this because I'm also interested in this $15 Batson blank to get started with glass. Do y'all know what size line is normally cast with it? I think I could deal with it as a 1 piece rod just fine. (takes tape measure to Forester)
Bump for more info from the GlassGurus

mojo

Reaction score
Cliff, a lot of guys build on them. I think they've nicknamed them Tadpoles.
Check out Batson SPG780 project query - Rod Building & Tackle Tinkering - Active Discussions - fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku
Also type in tadpole on search. Load of info.
FWIW, these things just don't interest me that much. Load of people love them. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the snobbery coming out in me. I just can't see a short, spin casting blank being used as a fly rod. If I ever tried one, I'd probably change my mind of coarse.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Thanks man. I was on there earlier and saw something about tadpole and had no idea what it was referring to.

Maybe I could build it up with spin guides and and sliding rings and get an UL spin rod and a 3wt out of it?

mhclayton

Reaction score
I just picked up an 8' 3-4 weight Steffen Bros blank at Fly Rod Crafters here in Albuquerque for $155, and he has a pretty good selection of their blanks in stock for the prices noted above if Steffen doesn't have what you want immediately available-- and they are on the net.

I have planned to build a fiberglass rod for quite a while, and was going to start with a cheaper blank but discovered that the first rod often turns out a lot better than you expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the 4 wt. Sage VT2 I just finished during a class. Now if I could just figure out how to do a thin accent wrap!

mojo

Reaction score
I just picked up an 8' 3-4 weight Steffen Bros blank at Fly Rod Crafters here in Albuquerque for $155, and he has a pretty good selection of their blanks in stock for the prices noted above if Steffen doesn't have what you want immediately available-- and they are on the net.

I have planned to build a fiberglass rod for quite a while, and was going to start with a cheaper blank but discovered that the first rod often turns out a lot better than you expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the 4 wt. Sage VT2 I just finished during a class. Now if I could just figure out how to do a thin accent wrap!
Now for a reel seat for the glass. Glass butt's are a larger diameter than graphite. It's been hard to find a good looking reel seat for fiberglass rods. Until Joel Lemke came along. He used to work for Glen Struble. Now he's on his own. He does build the best looking seats and inserts I've see, and for a good price. He doesn't have a website yet, but his email is lemkeconcepts@q.com
If you have a nice blank like a Steffan Bros you will want a seat by Joel. You won't need to bore it out any larger. Joel's a great guy to talk too also. Tell him what blank you have and what the butt diameter is. He'll work with you too. Ask Auntie Em about Joel's seats and hardware.
Here's one I'm putting on a TXL. It's buckeye burl with black nickle hardware.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Wow! Go fishing for a few days and find this when I get back!! Mojo has truly filled you in on the glass rods. The man does indeed, know his stuff!! He's also provided you with information on Joel Lemke's reel seats. They are, with out doubt, some of the most beautiful reel seats you will ever find. They just "go" with the glass rods!

Diamondglass has been discontinued. If you find a place that still has some in stock ... ummm .... let me know!!!!! They are very fine blanks!

Lamiglas puts out a fun, fun blank, too! I just finished one for my husband (see the rod building forum; lets build a rod together), and I'm FINALLY working on mine!! (and it will have the Lemke seat on it!!!).

Which ever blank you should choose, you're in for a great experience!
Em

<Mojo ... that buckeye burl is gorgeous!!!!>

<Darn! forgot to mention that I built couple tadpole glass rods for a rod swap ... cut and ferruled they're a fun, fast little rod!!>