Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiberglass blanks

Default fiberglass blanks

I need help in finding a good source to purchase a glass blank at a reasonable price since this will be my first try at rod building. Maybe along the lines of a Lamiglass. Or maybe someone knows another brand. Thanks.

2. Default Re: fiberglass blanks

I would PM Joni to get a response on this. Sorry I can't help you out. She fishes glass a lot and builds glass rods as well.

Default Re: fiberglass blanks

Can't say enough good thngs about the guys at mudhole tackle. They are rod builders and understand the "quest" to build what you want. If they don't have it they will take the time to look for it and you can find some great deals on their clearance and liquidation sales.
    Hope this helps
    -Marco

Fiberglass Fly
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Thumbs up Re: fiberglass blanks

Thanks for tips. I'll look up Mudhole and PM Joni for any info she might have.

Marc.

It's in what you want to pay. How much are you looking to spend. We can find an inexpensive spinning rod you can turn into a fly rod (lots of people have done it) or- for e-glass, Lamiglass Honey blanks start at about $70 for a 6'6" 3w (2pc.) up to $150 for a 8' 5w 6pc. The Spring Creek is a brown color glass and they're about $55 for a 3w and around $70 for a 7'6" 4w. (Just finished up wrapping one for a Project Healing Waters rod). I don't see much difference in the honey or the SC in the 7'6" 4w's. And there's only two models in the Spring Creek.
    Then, you can get a little more expensive and go a Steffan Brothers- S glass which is faster than E-glass, and Mark will make one for you to your specs. Tell him what you are using it for, and have him suggest a blank for you. Steffan blanks are $120 for a 2 pc. up to $185 for a 4pc.( these prices were correct last time I checked) Different weights come in different pc configurations. You'd have to talk to him.
    Then we have one of my favorite rods, McFarland. He uses E-glass. He'll build them to your specs too. His prices are $185 for a 2 or 3 pc. blank.
    Tom Morgan has new blanks out in a ruby red color. $295 for a blank. Kerry Burkheimer is supposed to be rolling these.
    There is another blank line- Kettle Creek rods. Vince Cummings designed I think. A guy named Phil Baldacchino has Kettle Creek Tackle Shop in Pennsylvania. No internet, just phone and fax. I think his prices are in the $75 range for blanks. Guys I know love the blanks.
    One more place, it's costly too, is Rick's Rods out of Denver. I think you can get Phillipson blanks or rod kit's but you're looking at least $200 or $300- you'd have to call him, but there's some W&M Trevarno glass rod blanks for cheap.
    Right now I can't think of any more makes of blank lines. So, if you want to go cheap, middle of the road, or into some bucks, it's your choice.
    Anglersworkshop and Mudhole carries Lamiglas, McFarland Rod Company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, Rick's Rods and Steffan Brothers have websites. Phil has a phone and fax.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Thanks Mojo, you sure know your stuff. Next time I have a question about 'glass, I'll go straight to the source. First thing is figuring what budget I will put on this project and go from there.

Diamond Back rods, made by cortland now..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

The spinning rod blank most folks use is the Batson SPG780
    they go for somewhere around 12-15 bucks
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    The spinning rod blank most folks use is the Batson SPG780
    they go for somewhere around 12-15 bucks
    Yes, that's the model I was referring to.
    Also just found out today Mudhole's carrying 4w 7'6" Lami Honey's in a 1 pc. configuration
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Good evening everyone, just got home from work. Thanks for all the input! I checked around quickly at Steffen Bros, Lamiglas and the blanks at Mudhole. I have to admit that the Steffen are very tempting in a 3 weight. But this being a first rod, I'm hesitant and it would be logical to use a low price blank such as a Batson. On the Diamondglass site, they still list the glass blanks. I heard that they have been discontinued??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast