Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
  1. Default Reel Seat Weights

Hi,

So, I've built a number of rods now, 3 on Winston blanks as well a couple on the excellent quickline blanks. For my last couple of builds, I've used some rather nice looking and well proportioned Nickel Silver reel seats. The weight of the finished rod is heavier than I had hoped, turns out the reel seat was 41g (nearly 1.5oz). Anybody know what affect this will have ? I assume it won't really impact swing weight too much. Thinking about trying to remove the reel seat and fitting an Alu one instead - am I over thinking this?

thx

2. Likes swcr liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Reel Seat Weights

I’d put a reel with line on it, put some line out past the rod tip, and see how the whole set up balances. Not all reels weigh the same, either, so it your nickel silver seat is a little heavier than an Aluminum one, there is likely a lighter reel available to compensate for the heavier reel seat.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

4. Thanks dougieb thanked for this post
    Likes swcr liked this post
  5. Default Re: Reel Seat Weights

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Id put a reel with line on it, put some line out past the rod tip, and see how the whole set up balances. Not all reels weigh the same, either, so it your nickel silver seat is a little heavier than an Aluminum one, there is likely a lighter reel available to compensate for the heavier reel seat.
    That's a good point. The reel I'm intending on using is very light - danielsson dry fly and having just done as you suggested, balances perfectly.

Default Re: Reel Seat Weights

With the blanks, both glass and graphite or carbon, coming in lighter and lighter in weight, was one of the reasons that Joel Lemke primarily decided to go go with aluminum for all the quality seats that he has been offering and the choice of a lot of the high end builds curently in the marketplace.

7. Default Re: Reel Seat Weights

I think you are probably right. When I started rod building the better rods all had silver nickel seats. Looking at the top manufacturers now and their premium rod offerings, all seem to have alu real seats. I struggled to find an off the shelf premium rod that still used nickel silver. What I don't understand though is whether this shift is simply to keep the overall weight low as lower weight rods (not blanks) are considered more premium. My assumption is that if you are going to add extra weight, then the lower down the less impact it has on swing weight (which is more important than overall weight) - not sure if this is a correct assumption though.