Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default detachable fighting butt

I have a Dave Lewis custom rod built in 96 that has a removable fighting butt.

It has three cork rings mounted on a shaft that is 2 and 1/2 " long. One end of the shaft has a metal butt cap that contains the cork rings. The other end -- not covered by cork rings -- has a small o ring that rests in a circular indentation near the end of the shaft. When assembled, the o ring end is inserted into a metal fitting glued into the base of the rod blank for a tight friction fit.

I want to find another shaft with butt cap and o ring but about 4" long, That way I could interchange the two butts.

I have scoured custom fly rod parts outfits w/o finding anything like this hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.

ddb

Default Re: detachable fighting butt

mudhole.com has a selection of fighting butts. You'd need to know the ID of the part the butt fits into.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Paul

3. Default Re: detachable fighting butt

Check out pac bay they have hardware for a attachable butt.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4. Likes jangles liked this post

Default Re: detachable fighting butt

I had a Dave Lewis rod, many years ago. It was a 5 wgt so it didn't have a fighting butt. The only rods I have a fighting butt on are two of my three 8 wgts. I ordered a kit, I don't remember from where. It had the insert piece which was epoxied in instead of the butt cap. The butt itself, the shaft had an O ring, but the the 1/4 inch in front of the cork was threaded and was screwed in to tighten it up. This made it easier to build a longer one a couple of years later. I found a bolt that fit the threads in the insert. Ordered a 4 inch cork grip, epoxied the bolt in the grip, and had myself a longer fighting butt. I've since built a 7 inch and an 11 inch extended butt for the rods.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."