Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default detachable fighting butt

I have a Dave Lewis custom rod built in 96 that has a removable fighting butt.

It has three cork rings mounted on a shaft that is 2 and 1/2 " long. One end of the shaft has a metal butt cap that contains the cork rings. The other end -- not covered by cork rings -- has a small o ring that rests in a circular indentation near the end of the shaft. When assembled, the o ring end is inserted into a metal fitting glued into the base of the rod blank for a tight friction fit.

I want to find another shaft with butt cap and o ring but about 4" long, That way I could interchange the two butts.

I have scoured custom fly rod parts outfits w/o finding anything like this hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.

ddb

Default Re: detachable fighting butt

mudhole.com has a selection of fighting butts. You'd need to know the ID of the part the butt fits into.
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. -- Henry David Thoreau

Paul

3. Default Re: detachable fighting butt

Check out pac bay they have hardware for a attachable butt.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4. Likes jangles liked this post

Default Re: detachable fighting butt

I had a Dave Lewis rod, many years ago. It was a 5 wgt so it didn't have a fighting butt. The only rods I have a fighting butt on are two of my three 8 wgts. I ordered a kit, I don't remember from where. It had the insert piece which was epoxied in instead of the butt cap. The butt itself, the shaft had an O ring, but the the 1/4 inch in front of the cork was threaded and was screwed in to tighten it up. This made it easier to build a longer one a couple of years later. I found a bolt that fit the threads in the insert. Ordered a 4 inch cork grip, epoxied the bolt in the grip, and had myself a longer fighting butt. I've since built a 7 inch and an 11 inch extended butt for the rods.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."