Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Default Teledanís first fly rod build (Blue Halo 3wt)

Hey guys, I have been toying with the idea of building a rod for a long time and ended up buying a Blue Halo blank last November when they went on sale. I bought a 7í6Ē 3wt in their Cappuccino color. It has been sitting in my shelf since then and I just recently picked up a cigar grip, a reel seat, and some guides so itís on now!! I figured I would start a thread to track the build, I imagine I will be asking some questions along the way. Luckily I have a neighbor who has built a few rods so he has some tools/experience he has offered. Anyway, here is a pic of the blank next to the grip and seat, I am pretty pumped!

The guides I got are black. I am not really into super flashy colors so I am thinking of using either dark brown thread or trying to match the blank color. I am also trying to decide if I should use silk thread or nylon. I am leaning towards silk but am a bit nervous since this is my first build. Is silk harder to work with?

2. Likes ravenbc, mcnerney, Ard liked this post

Default Re: Teledanís first fly rod build (Blue Halo 3wt)

I haven't used silk thread. Silk is thinner and has less stretch than nylon. It will fray if you burnish too much. If you choose silk, look into getting a color preserver to get the nice tones.

Good luck on your build.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  5. Default Re: Teledanís first fly rod build (Blue Halo 3wt)

For your first build I would use size A nylon. Silk is a tradional wrapping thread and the only real advantage is when you want transluent or transparent wraps. Silk is thinner and will cause you more issues as well as will break more often while you wrap.

It is still possible to get a transparent wrap with nylon, so if that is the look you are going for nylon will still work, and there are a few tips I can share to get that look.

A couple of tips I would try is practice your wraps on the butt where the grip will cover, and then practice applying your finish, this way you will see what your finished wrap will look like and test different colors or with and without CA and help you learn how to apply finish. When you are done just scrap of the finish and thread and any damage will be covered by your grip.

Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. Likes mcnerney, strmanglr scott, jofer liked this post

Thanks guys! I think I will try some practice wraps like you said and see what I like best.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Good luck. When you practice actually practice on the exact rod and location you’ll be doing the wraps and all that. You’ll be surprised! You don’t want to try to replicate if you nailed it 1st time around.
    Capt Mike
    Angler Management Sport Fishing
    42í Express Sportfish - 24 Carolina Skiff

My Quiver:
    Asquith 9 & 11
    Sage Accel 8
    Loomis GL3 8/9 and 10/11

Abel SS Custom Shop Reels
    Amplitude Tropical Titan Lines

+1 - use nylon thread.

I love nylon thread with no color preserver. You can do wraps on the butt section where the reel seat and grip will go, and even apply the finish to see how you like various spools with and without color preserver.
    - William

Blog Entries

I'll go against the grain and say I love silk dressings due to the translucent reaction of silk to Varnish. Yep, I said varnish

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Likes jangles liked this post
  13. Default Re: Teledanís first fly rod build (Blue Halo 3wt)

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I'll go against the grain and say I love silk dressings due to the translucent reaction of silk to Varnish. Yep, I said varnish
    Silk does look great especially it treated right to be transluent on a glass rod looks awesome. But for the first couple builds Nylon will be easier to get the hang of wrapping and burnishing.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

14. Likes Ard liked this post