Broken guide

ant

Reaction score
I went out today and when I took my rod out of the tube, I noticed that one of the guides was bent. Since might makes right, I tried to bend it back to where it was supposed to be, and the guide came out of the wraps.

I have no experience in building and have no idea what I would be doing. Can anyone suggest some good resources, either online or whatever, to walk me through the process of fixing this?

The rod is an old fiberglass Sila Flex that I got used, if it matters.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Anthony,

If it is only a matter of the foot coming out from under the wrap then gingerly slip it back under the old silks and apply a thin coat of either flex coat or a clear epoxy close to the point where the wire foot fits under the wraps. After this light first coat sets you can go over the whole wrap but if the first coat gets it I would call it quits. If you go further than a quick fix like I describe then you are headed toward needing a rod turning motor and chuck. A light close coat can be hand turned until set and it's over.

Hope that helps,

Ard

ant

Reaction score
try bubblegum..............hahahahahahahaha.
tag ur it
So I should take the staples out?

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can slip it in to the wrap and use the epoxy. If that doesn't work, I'll go from there.

Thanks again!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember that you will need to rotate the shaft slowly until the stuff sets up. This can take a while so find a box, cut a V in two opposing ends, put it where you can have a seat and turn the rod about 3 times / min until things start to set. Once the epoxy is hardening you must still turn the rod on the min until it is hard. This is why you try to fix with a thin coat. keep it near where the wire is exposed, right where it meets the wrap.

Good luck,

Ard

ant

Reaction score
Just remember that you will need to rotate the shaft slowly until the stuff sets up. This can take a while so find a box, cut a V in two opposing ends, put it where you can have a seat and turn the rod about 3 times / min until things start to set. Once the epoxy is hardening you must still turn the rod on the min until it is hard. This is why you try to fix with a thin coat. keep it near where the wire is exposed, right where it meets the wrap.

Good luck,

Ard
Thanks Ard! I would have just slapped it on and let it dry, thinking only a dab would be OK.

Rod shop is sounding better and better......:)