Reel seat fit not right.

Flypops

Reaction score
CALIFORNIA (working on an escape plan now)
Hello all,
I have a Fenwick rod that has an uplocking seat that does not allow the forward reel foot to fully seat. What happens is that when I've fully engaged the thread nut the reel is still just a slight bit loose in the seat.

Filling the forward seat slot with some kind of material that won't crush too much but would keep the reel foot from traveling up too far but so far I haven't come up with anything that does the trick.

Have any of you rod builders experienced this and how did you fix it?

Flypops

Reaction score
So just reading my own post gave me the idea of stuffing some lead wire into the seat. I took several inches of .015 wire and folded it over itself and jammed it into the forward seat slot and it did seem to help a bit but the nut still rides up onto the rear reel foot too far and just won't seat properly. But for now I'll live with it.

silver creek

Reaction score
There is an AFTMA reel foot standard. If either that rods or reel was made before the standard may not fit each other. You will have to build up the reel foot with tape.

plecain

Reaction score
There is an AFTMA reel foot standard. If either that rods or reel was made before the standard may not fit each other. You will have to build up the reel foot with tape.
That's the trick.

Just apply tape to the underside of the reel foot until it works. You can trim it nicely and it won't show.

Flypops

Reaction score
So it appears the reels foot is a bit short. It measures 2 3/8 OAL vs. the posted chart of 2 1/2. It's a Ross Cimarron circa 1995.

Maybe that is enough to cause the issue I'm having. I did put some black tape on the fwd. foot and it seems to have helped a bit.

I'll try it on another rod and see how it fits.

Thanks again,
Dan

original cormorant

Reaction score
Try stuffing Blu-Tac or plasticine into the reel seat and then tightening up on the reel.

If it was an oversize reel seat (rather than an under sized reel foot) then you could make it more permanent by using epoxy putty or some other setting compound. If doing this wrap the reel foot in cling film so it doesn't get permanently fixed.

The toe section of my Korkers wading boot recently came away and I had to glue it back and I used play-doh wrapped in cling film to fill the space in the toe section that holds the replaceable sole. (this is how I became an expert in the use of these materials!)

mike_r

Reaction score
The older Ross reel feet were a touch skinny. I do the tape thing on the bottom. Good old electrical tape in several layers until a snug fit is realized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonW

Reaction score
Recently acquired reel seats with slip rings that wouldn't snug on older reels I tend to use, I found some black heavy duty weaterstripping that works perfect when applied to reel foot.

flav

Reaction score
I've also had that problem with older Ross reels. I used electrical tape, like others suggested, and it worked fine for a while. Eventually I got tired of the issue and sold off all my Ross reels.