Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
  1. Default Are these grips different grade cork, or different finish?

Fly Rod Grip Cork Comparison.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the grip in the center of this image is composed of a different grade of cork, or is it finished differently than the others? Perhaps some sort of filler is applied and then sanded as a final finish?

I am thinking of doing a cork grip replacement on one of my other rods this coming winter, and I would really like to find a grip with a finish that is similar to the rod shown in the center of this image, and just want to know what to look for cork-grade wise.

All of the grips shown perform well, I just figure as long as I am going to the trouble of replacing a rod grip I may as well try to replicate the cork finish that I like best.

2. Default Re: Are these grips different grade cork, or different finish?

It appears the center grip is Flor grade and the other 2 are some sort of Super A to AAA. I zoomed in the best I could and do not see any signs of filler on the center grip, but does not mean it has been filled.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. Likes Ard, trev liked this post

Default Re: Are these grips different grade cork, or different finish?

The center one looks to be a higher grade. I, too, zoomed in as much as I could and didn’t see any obvious filler.
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. -- Henry David Thoreau

Paul

5. Likes Ard liked this post

I would agree it is a better grade of cork. It is difficult to find high grade cork, it does vary by the year it is harvested, so this years best grade may be a previous years 2nd or 3rd best. So all 3 handles may have been the highest high grade available for their production year.

7. Likes Ard, trev liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jedzik View Post
    Fly Rod Grip Cork Comparison.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the grip in the center of this image is composed of a different grade of cork, or is it finished differently than the others? Perhaps some sort of filler is applied and then sanded as a final finish?

I am thinking of doing a cork grip replacement on one of my other rods this coming winter, and I would really like to find a grip with a finish that is similar to the rod shown in the center of this image, and just want to know what to look for cork-grade wise.

All of the grips shown perform well, I just figure as long as I am going to the trouble of replacing a rod grip I may as well try to replicate the cork finish that I like best.

First of all, I would concentrate on the SHAPE and SIZE of the grip you are replacing. You are used to the old grip and so you should try to replace it with the same shape and size. Then try to get the best cork.

Now if you fish other rods with the other two shapes and sized grips that would be different. Then you would be used to the other grips as well.

The middle grip does seem to have the best cork.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Just get the best grade you can. Flor is nice, but sometimes it's hard to find or it's not that much better than lower grades. Are you turning your own or buying a preshaped handle?
    I've replaced the cork and seats on pretty much every production rod I own. It's a pretty fun process. It's nice when you can put a better handle on an old rod and make it feel like it's new again and even improved.

10. Default Re: Are these grips different grade cork, or different finish?

Agree with all others, the center appears to be the best grade. But as others have said and in my experience the center one could be filled and 320 sanded then sealed to look good. The only sure way I know to get the center look of the finest grade is to buy cork rings sort and assemble but that requires serious rod building gear and experience assembling rings and turning them down. As for assembled grips "you pay your money and take your chances" you don't get to select within a given grade...you're at the mercy of the stock puller...when I used cork I found REC's definition "Flor"and selection of the best grade for pre-shaped grips was the most reliable. If you have the ability to have eyes on what you buy that's obviously the best. For my salt rods I now use Winn Grips...they can be garish in appearance but they are very functional in the heat...now when the cork on my 10 wt TCX, my principle Permit blank is done I'm going to replace with the Carbon fiber over dense foam pre-shaped grip

11. Default Re: Are these grips different grade cork, or different finish?

I appreciate all of the replies. I am hoping to find a grip like the one shown on the left (snub nose half wells) in the quality of the grip shown in the center of the image. If anyone has a recommendation for where I might find such a preshaped grip in flor grade, it would be much appreciated.

Although of course I agree with bonefish41's comments that I will be at the mercy of the stock puller.

I wouldn't rule that out turning my own - winter is here and I will have some free time. Although with zero rod building experience, that may get interesting. But failure is part of the fun, right? Until I end up screwing up a bunch of flor grade cork rings.....

12. Default Re: Are these grips different grade cork, or different finish?

Quote Originally Posted by jedzik View Post
    I appreciate all of the replies. I am hoping to find a grip like the one shown on the left (snub nose half wells) in the quality of the grip shown in the center of the image. If anyone has a recommendation for where I might find such a preshaped grip in flor grade, it would be much appreciated.

Although of course I agree with bonefish41's comments that I will be at the mercy of the stock puller.

I wouldn't rule that out turning my own - winter is here and I will have some free time. Although with zero rod building experience, that may get interesting. But failure is part of the fun, right? Until I end up screwing up a bunch of flor grade cork rings.....
    I doubt that you will be able to find a preshaped Flor grade grip, unless you contact a rod builder and have them make one for you. Most premade grips are of cheaper quality these days. Most professional rod builders will be able to source and turn a grip any shap you want.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

On my Scott rods there is a difference in the grade of cork used depending on the model. For example, the Flex has a nice cork grip, the G-Series has a premium cork grip much like the quality of the grade you have pictured.

Denny