Rather dumb question

axle27

Reaction score
This seems rather stupid, but I'll ask for opinions anyway:

I have a 7'-6" 2wt St. Croix Legend Ultra that I got for panfish. (Didn't pay full retail for it).

I'm considering selling it and replacing it with a 7'-6" 3wt TFO Pro and a 7'-0" 2wt of some unknown brand.

I like the LU, but I'm trying to be frugal about it all and I really want a smaller rod for close-in work. The 3wt would be my go-to panfish rod for ponds and such.

The other side of my brain (probably the good side) is telling me to hold onto the LU and save my pennies for a short 7' 3wt.

What are you opinions?

FrankB2

Reaction score
If in close means in tight places as well, I'd get a rod that can throw the
tighest loops possible. I was fishing tight against some bushes a couple days
ago, and my loops had to be super tight. Most of my rods are throw
line fast, so it wasn't a problem. At the other end of my rod collection is
my bamboo rod. While it/I throws tight enough loops, they aren't as tight as
faster graphite. It's only 7 feet, so that's fine.

I've never cast anything smaller than a 4wt, and think that 4wt's are as light
as I'll ever go.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi axle27,

I would prefer the St Croix Ultra over the TFO Pro rod. You will not notice a great amount of difference in a 7' and a 7'6" rod. Have you been able to hold both rods and compare the difference in length. Here is a test you can try. Stand facing a Wall and hold the 7'6" rod straight out. move toward the wall until the tip of the 7'6" rod just touches the wall. Now standing in the same spot pickup the 7' rod and hole it out in front of you. Of course it will be six inches shorter but look how much that is out at the tip. It just isn't much from seven feet away.

Now if you just got to have that 7' rod I would keep the Ultra and buy a another 7' rod. Then sell the 2wt if you like the 7' best. If you are only fishing for Pan fish then a shorter rod is a disadvantage in most cases.

Frank

cruddymutt

Reaction score
Another rod you can look at is the White River Classic UL series. Small rods down to 5' all the way up to 6'3" I believe. I think they are 3 and 4wt rods also. Ive never used one Ive just seen them at the store. I thought about getting one for the stream I go to for Golden Trout but my 7' 4wt does just fine.

wtex50

Reaction score
The Ultra is a great rod and I would definately keep...Throws really tight loops. If you want something to fish in tight quarters or small streams...you will need something that will roll cast well...I don't know a 2 or 3 wt that will do that. I would suggest fiberglass...for small stream, tight waters fishing. They roll cast really well and distance isn't an issue. I use a 6.5 WM Featherlight made in the early 60's or a 7.5 Phillipson Challenger made in the early 50's. Both flex beautifully and roll cast like a dream...of course Boo also works well, but picking one of those up in shorter lengths will cost a pretty penny.

I'm not an expert on fiberglass, but one of the members of this sight knows alot about fiberglass and I'm sure would offer you great advise if you want to look at fiberglass. her name is Joni and hopefully she will see this post and chime in. If not send her a PM.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Axle,
I've got an old St. Croix Imperial 7' 3/4wt I don't use much anymore. I'd ship it to you for $30. Its perfectly functional, but I really never want to fish a rod that short.