Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie here

1. Default Newbie here

Just got into fly fishing and figured I would purchase some equipment. Looked on here and got hundreds of different ideas...Ended up with a Albright A5 5wt rod and a Lamson Konic Reel. Got some Trinity waders from albright (duck hunting ones did not cut it). SA Lefty Kreh line from cabela's. Now got to put it together...

How much backing should I put on...

Does it go arbor knot then nail knot for backing to fly line..

Also how is the q]equipment that I bought...Decent stuff ???

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie here

Sounds like good stuff to me Hoser. It's tricky to get the backing right but enough so that when you spool the fly line it fills the cage nicely. A nail knot will work to attach backing to line but I've also stripped away a couple inches of the plastic coating then blood knotted the two braided lines together. Someone here will tell you the best way I'm sure. The things I do work for me (most of the time) but aren't always the best way to do things.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Hoser,
    I bet your favorite movie is "Strange Brew."

Here's how you deal with the setup dilemna. Go to a fly shop and have the shop guy wind it up for you. While you are there, make sure to buy some leaders, tippet, and flies (at least buy something!) as payment for the service. Or you can give him a 12 pack of beer as a thank you.

MP

4. Default Re: Newbie here

Welcome Hoser41,

I hope you enjoy your new equipment. What neck of the woods are you going to be fishing in?

Anywhere near Elsinor?

5. Default Re: Newbie here

DryFly Guy

Fishing outside of Sacramento on the was up to Lake Tahoe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post

Anywhere near Elsinor?
    That's too funny!

MP

Hoser. You've got some good stuff. Don't remeber where I saw this but Lamson has a chart that suggests how much backing to put on each size reel/fly line wt. Maybe their website. Yeah, nailknot backing to fly line. Good luck with that. I use a WD-40 tube that I cleaned to assist with a nailknot. There are probably better ways.

Hi Hoser41,

I think you got a good setup. I have never cast the A5 rod but a lot of members like it a lot.

Unless you want to put you line on and off several times to get it right here is how I would do it.

1. Wind the line on to the reel first. Don't tie it.

2. Wind the backing over the fly line until it is about 1/8" or so from the pillars of the reel.

3. Now remove the backing and the fly line.

4. Fasten the backing to the reel using an arbor knot and wind it on.

5. Fasten the backing to the fly line with a nail knot.

6. Wind the fly line onto the reel. Make sure you tie the backing to the back of the fly line.

This will make it pretty close to right the first time. If you need a little more clearance remove the fly line and cut off some of the backing. In most cases it will be alright if you wound everything on evenly across the reel. That is, don't let the lines build up more on one side of the reel than the other.

Frank

I use a needle nail knot for backing to fly line. I think it would slide through the guides more if the day comes when a fish takes me to my backing .

The gear you bought is beyond fine. Most of the gear sold today is light years
    ahead of what flyfishing legends had available to them, and the warrantys
    offered today are excellent. I'd get some flies and leaders, but you're probably
    working on that. Polarized sunglasses help to see fish (or lack thereof); a good hat; decent knife; net; vest or pack to carry all your stuff; a wading staff if you plan to wade in tricky/fast water (my wife swears by hers now!).