Looking for a 3wt, any advice?

i_throw_bugs

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a 3wt to get those little trout streams and creeks. I've been looking at some of the TFO (Finesse, Professional, and Signature), St. Croix (Imperial), and Orvis (Clearwater II) rods. I'm a college student, so the funds are limited. The Imperial Series, Finesse, and Clearwater II are the highest I'd go. I'm looking to cast them all before I make a choice. However, does anyone have other suggestions to try? Thanks in advance.

racine

Reaction score
If you can get your hands on a used Sage SLT, Winston BIIX or a very modest Albright A5( probably the most reasonable on student tax bracket) you'll really like them.

cattech89

Reaction score
Hey there Bugs and welcome,
Check this review out. I think that the Redington CT would be a good choice for your small stream rod. Price is nice and warranty is great. I don't know what kind of action you're looking for but the CT has more of a moderate action. Definitely recommend casting as many as you can though.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
With your current limited funds situation, I'd look on EBay, you will be amazed at the deals on almost new condition rods you can find.

Larry

nerka

Reaction score
Do your research, but I have enjoyed the heck out of my TFO Finesse. 7'9" 3wt.

i_throw_bugs

Reaction score
Thank you all for the tips. I've been researching a good bit, now its just a matter of how they feel in my hand. I didn't even think to check ebay, so thanks!

axle27

Reaction score
If you are slim on funds (and most of us are)...consider a LaCrosse Axis II fly rod. I got a 6'6" 2pc 3wt for about $60. I use it strictly for small stream brookie fishing and I really like it.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Do your research, but I have enjoyed the heck out of my TFO Finesse. 7'9" 3wt.
THe only thing about TFO that I don't like is this. Somehow in the course of offering 10 different rods in 250 sizes, they don't have a 3 wt shorter than 7'9 in any of their offerings. No 6'6", 7', or 7'6" 3 or 4 wts available. I don't know who fishes with the longer 3 wts, but from what I have cast, a 3 wt is sweetest at 7 ft. I love the finesse action, but I got it in 4 and 5 wt, and ultimately went elsewhere for my small stream 3 wt. If you can live with 7'9" then the finesse is a great rod; if you want shorter, try the CT or the Imperial, or the winston passport.

And if you do e-bay, your $200 or less budget will get you a premium rod if you take a little time to look. I'm not sure if you'll get a BIIX like someone suggested, but you could definitely jump up a bracket. I get most of my rods on E-bay and for 200 you can get the following rods: St Croix Legend, Winston vapor, Sage fli, flight, vantage, VT2 (discontinued), Redington CPX, Scott A2 (discontinued) or used Scott a3. There are alot of options for 200 if you are considering used or discontinued on E-Bay.

nerka

Reaction score
nerka, what is the action on that rod? Its a little slower isn't it? Does that make it easier to fight some of the bigger fish? How about casting?
I can cast 50ft with accuracy without much effort. When I double haul I might get another 15ft.

It is a moderate action rod and it works just fine for what I need it to do.

Bigger fish, well I have caught a 40in pike on it, and quite a few pink salmon. The pinks were in faster water and brought me down to the backing but it was a hoot.

dhaynes

Reaction score
I have a Greys GS2 -- 7'6", 3wt-- that I am happy with. They sell on ebay from about 100 to 115. Certainly worth looking at if local shop stocks them...

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've got a 8'6" 3wt TFO Pro that I REALLY enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of most of the TFO Pro series, but that one is a gem.

Its pretty powerful for a 3wt, yet still light and delicate. It also fishes quite well with a 4wt line when you know you'll only be casting 30' or less.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi i_throw_bugs,

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better three weight than the Redington CT. They have a 7'6" and a 8'6" length. A four piece rod with a tube for $149. Take a look here.

Redington Classic Trout

webrx

Reaction score
Cabelas has a 3 wt fiberglass rod they are selling for $100. I have heard some good things about this rod if you like glass

d

i_throw_bugs

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! You gave me some great ideas, I just need to start casting some of these before I make a decision. I really appreciate the suggestions!

ghostdncr

Reaction score
Just posted the below response on bubbaman44's thread. Pardon the copy and paste, but it sounds as though it's relevant to your thread, too:

I started a thread about a LaCrosse 7' 2-wt here, which I fitted with a Martin 61 click and pawl reel I picked up at the flea market for $3: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/90500-lacrosse-custom-rods-7-2-wt-review.html

I'm sure their 3-wt would perform about the same and can be had for under $70. I really like the action on these rods (the Axis II model) as it's more relaxed and FAR better suited to working in close with tiny flies and near-microscopic tippets. I've not fished it yet but initial lawn tests indicate it's not only a keeper, but a rod I'll purchase in other sizes, too. Nothing particularly exceptional about this rod but all aspects of it were surprisingly nice, as if I'd bought a stolen rod! The cork appears to be too high-grade for the price, and the windings are spot-on and well finished. Even the reel seat looks and functions like a solid mid-grade offering.

These rods can be found on the big auction site, via a search here, or contact Bob direct at Badger Custom Tackle. PM me if you'd like his email. While the rods aren't listed on Badger's website, they seem able to get all the available sizes and offer exceptional shipping rates.

So many manufacturers seem to be obsessed with action speed these days. I handled a Redington Crosswater+ combo the other day (9' 5-wt) and it had very little action to it. It had all the "give" of an average broom handle, which holds almost no appeal for me. An earlier model I'd cast some months ago was wispy and had excellent feel for a rod at this price point. In all fairness to Redington, I think the early model was just a plain Crosswater, with the new one being designated a "+" model.

gofisch

Reaction score
I think I'll be the fourth person to recommend a Redington Classic Trout (CT), but it is a great rod, moderate action like others have said. A nice smooth casting rod. Just ordered one for myself after casting a friends for a day.

slduck

Reaction score
I bough a St Croix legend Ultra on E aby for $200 7ft 9 inch 4 piece with warranty.
put it with a Galvan Standard 2.5 for $125 on e bay almost new.
look on e bay for used rods and you will find something within a couple of months that will exceed a new rod and reel in your retail price range.