8wt vs 9wt saltwater

loop62

Reaction score
i am trying to decide between a 8wt xi2 and a 9wt xi2 from sage. the prey will be redfish, snook, tarpon and other open water fish. primarliy in the bay and estuaries of the west coast of florida.

Also i was trying to decide between the 8 or 10 nautilus nv?

thanks

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi loop62,

It has a little bit to do with where you are fishing. Here in Florida the 9wt is very popular for all of those fish but big Tarpon. If you are mostly fishing for Redfish and Bonefish then you would like the 8wt better. If you are after 100+ pound Tarpon then I don't think the 8wt or 9wt is the right rod.

You will find that fishing in Saltwater calls for a wide range of rod weights for the varied fish we have here in Florida. The best way is to pick your most targeted fish and get the rod to match that fish.

The Nautilus 8/9 will work well with a 8wt or 9wt rod. If you decide to get a 12wt you will find the reel too small and you will have to buy another reel. There is the option of using a Gel Spun type backing and that helps a bit with the backing problems. If you buy the Nautilus 10/11 then when you buy a 12wt for Tarpon you can buy another spool. Then you get into the problem if you really chase big Tarpon you want the rod and reel set up to go with a 8wt or 9wt also ready to go for smaller Tarpon and other fish you might come across. Then you have to have two or three reels to meet all of the conditions.

I hope I didn't just make the decision any harder. I would just sit down and think about how you are fishing and get the rod that best fits that fishing and worry about the other stuff if it comes up. So pick a rod first and then get the reel.

Frank

loop62

Reaction score
thanks frank,
i am targeting with this particular setup redfish, snook and small tarpon along with some beach/surf fishing. i would normally go 8 but wind and the closeness of these 2 rods pushed me towardsthe #9 then into confusion. i have gulfstream and a 12 for larger fish but was looking for more of a cover it most setup.
you seem familiar with the nautlius line is the ccf sufficient or is the nv the way to go?

tim

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I am targeting with this particular setup redfish, snook and small tarpon along with some beach/surf fishing. I would normally go 8, but wind and the closeness of these 2 rods pushed me towards the 9...
I think that you answered your own question.

As for the reel, the NV 8/9 has adequate capacity, and it should balance just fine with the 9 weight Xi2.

I can't comment on the permformance of the Nautilus reels since I have not used them.

MP