Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ways to clean fly rod handles?

Default Re: ways to clean fly rod handles?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    The best place to find Tru-Oil is at a sporting goods store or gun shop.
    Here's the product: CLICK HERE You could probably find it in the sporting goods
    section of Walmart if there aren't any outdoors shops nearby.

EDIT There is a U-40 cork treatment, but the cork I've seen treated with that looks waxy.
    I've Tru Oiled 3 or 4 of my grips. I do it the hard way though. Rub on a couple coats, wet sand with 600 grit. Keep building up until the holes are filled. Give it a couple more coats and use 0000 steel wool to knock down the gloss to a satin finish. It looks good and protects the cork.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Blog Entries

im gonna go try and find some..thanks everyone
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Hi Mojo,
    Tru-Oil is great stuff! I've used it to finish a few blackpowder pistols, shotguns, and even two acoustic guitars. Thinking back on it, I must have
    applied a couple coats of Tru-Oil, and hit the last coat with some 0000 wool.

4. Default Re: ways to clean fly rod handles?

I use a Beszine and just wipe it with a cloth and my rodhandles always looks like new
    G-Loomis Roaring River Stinger GLX 14 #9/10

G-Loomis Native Run GLX 10#6

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    . . . There is a U-40 cork treatment, but the cork I've seen treated with that looks waxy.
    I've used U-40 and it does leave a bit of a sheen, which wears off after some use. I'm guessing a light rub-down with some 0000 steel wool would get rid of the sheen ASAP without diminishing its dirt-repellent properties. I will say that - unlike the oils I've tried - the U-40 product does not discolor the grip. However, it is very difficult to apply without drips or "sags", which do stand out. While I haven't tried to sand or steel-wool them out, I'm guessing that would do the trick.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I treat new handles with U-40 cork seal and then never mess with it again. I worked hard getting the crud on the grip. I think it makes it look seasoned.

warm water and baby shampoo cleans all of the grit and grim and oils from your hands - won't dry out the cork, I've been using the same little bottle for almost 4 years now, it doesn't take much

Blog Entries

yea..im just a tidy kind of guy and when stuff gets super messy it almost bugs me... but my spinning poles i dont care about they can get as dirty as they like
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

9. Default Re: ways to clean fly rod handles?

I use a Magic Eraser...works wonders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
    I use a Magic Eraser...works wonders.
    like the big pink grade school erasers? 0.o

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123