Rod Choice

farcefiasco

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to the CO Springs area in a couple months and I've recently been given my choice of TLS Power Matrix rods as a gift.

I own a 8'6" 5 wt. 3 piece that's 5 years old and not as nice as the Orvis, but I'm thinking about going for an 8'6" 4wt., 4 piece for the gift. The idea being a more packable, lighter rod for hiking in fishing. My question is, given the area I'm going to be in and closest home waters, is the 4wt going to be too light for most places, or could it be used as my workhorse rod about as well as the 5 wt? Or am I better off just getting another 5wt. since that would be about as low as I'd be well off using for my main rod?

Thanks

BigCliff

Reaction score
Though I have no experience with that specific rod, I think your logic and choice of a next rod makes perfect sense. I generally like 9' rods for general trouting, but since you're getting this one for hiking in fishing and thus smaller streams, a somewhat shorter rod seems ideal.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a very good plan. You will enjoy the fishing in the Colorado Springs area, be sure to post your fishing reports.

Larry

FrankB2

Reaction score
I've been using an 8.5' 4wt as my main rod for over a month now, and it'll
throw little #20 Adams as well as #10 hoppers nicely. I was fishing with
my wife this weekend, and grabbed her 8.5' 5wt for a minute, and it felt
like too much rod after using the 4wt for so long....:shocking:

FlyDog

Reaction score
I have the TLS, 8.5', 2pc, 4wt, mid flex and I love it. So far only fished it from my pontoon with 4wt intermediate line. As long as wind isn't an issue and the 4wt. is appropriate for where I'm fishing, I prefer the shorter, lighter TLS to my 9' 5wt. Sage Flight.
Since you have a useable 5 wt. I don't think you would be disappointed with the 4wt TLS.
:)

imxer

Reaction score
Re: Rod weights

Am curious about the weights of mfg's 8 1/2 ft, 4 wt rods. Seems to me the most reliable data is from individuals interested enough to personally weigh their rods.
Will start the ball rolling with the two I own.
Loomis IMX 8.5'/4wt ------ 2.8 oz
Loomis IMX 8.5'/4wt ------ 3.0 oz
Both were weighed on a home type Postal scale. If anyone is interested in
this data , will appreciate hearing of your results. :icon_smil