Need advice from some sages about Sages

ryu128

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. I just needed some advice about a couple of rods that I've been thinking about... I own a couple of Sage SP rods (480-3 and 690-3) both great rods. And I was thinking I should get a 5 weight. I've been looking hard at both the Sage XP and Z-Axis, as I wanted something with a little faster action than the SP.

The other question is how is the action of the ZXL compared to that of the SP? The other rod I'm looking at is the ZXL 376-4 or the SP 376-3. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

mojo

Reaction score
Take a look at a Winston BIIX, & the BIIMX along with the Sages. Leave the door open. Very smooth rods.
Try them side by side with the Sages too if you can. Then you make your decision.

BlueDun

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. I just needed some advice about a couple of rods that I've been thinking about... I own a couple of Sage SP rods (480-3 and 690-3) both great rods. And I was thinking I should get a 5 weight. I've been looking hard at both the Sage XP and Z-Axis, as I wanted something with a little faster action than the SP.

The other question is how is the action of the ZXL compared to that of the SP? The other rod I'm looking at is the ZXL 376-4 or the SP 376-3. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome NAFFF!

I don't know where the SP fit into the Sage line-up - that was before my time as a fly fisher, but I do know that the ZXL is softer than the the Z-Axis or the XP. The ZXL replaced the SLT. Just for the sake of comparison, and since you want a faster rod, try a TCX while you are trying rods. I have an SLT, but wanted a faster 6 wt streamer rod. Since the Z-Axis seems to work well for a lot of people, I just assumed that I would end up with a Z. For some reason, I had trouble casting that rod and ended up with a TCX.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I own a couple of Sage SP rods (480-3 and 690-3) both great rods. And I was thinking I should get a 5 weight. I've been looking hard at both the Sage XP and Z-Axis, as I wanted something with a little faster action than the SP.
I'd look harder at the Z-Axis. It's lighter than and softer at the tip than an XP. If you like the stroke of the SP, it would be an easier transition to the Z-Axis than the XP. Of course, you will have to speed your stroke up a tad.

As Mojo mentioned, take a look at the Winston BIIX. Try the BIIMX also, but I have a feeling that it may be too quick for your stroke.

The ZXL will feel lighter and a tad quicker than the SP which is due to the newer G5 graphite.

MP

ryu128

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately, there is no Winston dealer in my city so I haven't been able to try them out. But i do have an Winston LT 483 which is nice.

I did go to try out a zxl 370-3 and a txl 370-3 both are really smooth.

I'll have to keep looking. I know the BIIX is rated as a fast rod, but reading about them, it seems like they cast like a softer rod (smooth) with lots of power. Sounds cool. I may have to drive three hours just to try one...

Thanks again!

bwo

Reaction score
I fish a Sage XP 5wt 9' 2pc and a old Winston IM6 5wt 8'6" 2pc, IMO both outstanding rods. The Sage is very nice on larger streams with larger flies and especially for nymphing (also use it for panfish and bass). The Winston is a slower rod that's quite nice on smaller streams with dry flies.
Unfortunately both have been discontinued for a while now although these particular configurations come up frequently on ebay though. I'm not sure the latest is necessarily the greatest, especially taking prices into consideration.
But then, if you have large quantities of money burning a hole in your pocket.........