Hardy ?

Bies

Reaction score
Everyone on every forum is writing for example about sage vs winston, scott, orvis... etc.
But never about hardy ?
I dont know good about fly roods, but frends told me that hardy is on the top and one of the oldest, traditional and best fly fishing comp.
So why no one is writing about hardy ? no compare to other etc ?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Everyone on every forum is writing for example about sage vs winston, scott, orvis... etc.
But never about hardy ?
I dont know good about fly roods, but frends told me that hardy is on the top and one of the oldest, traditional and best fly fishing comp.
So why no one is writing about hardy ? no compare to other etc ?
There could be many reasons for the lack of reviews on Hardy. Over the past few years, Hardy was distributed by Cortland Line Company. It did a poor job marketing the product. It also jacked the prices higher than what they should be because Cortland was trying to capitalize on the Hardy name. Also many shops just didn't carry the product. If shops don't carry the product, no one's going to talk about it. Hardy also moved production of some of its products from the UK to Korea. Many Hardy diehards would only consider a Hardy if it is a UK made product. Think about it this way. If Sage decided to make its rods overseas, what kind of fallout would you think would happen?

You will probably start seeing more reviews about Hardy over the next year or two. Hardy has setup its own Hardy/Greys distribution network in North America. It's got a great product selection that is mixed with some classic styles and some modern ones (including an $8000 reel). Because of its new distribution network and some offshore made product, Hardy product prices are going lower on many models.

MP

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
There could be many reasons for the lack of reviews on Hardy. Over the past few years, Hardy was distributed by Cortland Line Company. It did a poor job marketing the product. It also jacked the prices higher than what they should be because Cortland was trying to capitalize on the Hardy name. Also many shops just didn't carry the product. If shops don't carry the product, no one's going to talk about it. Hardy also moved production of some of its products from the UK to Korea. Many Hardy diehards would only consider a Hardy if it is a UK made product. Think about it this way. If Sage decided to make its rods overseas, what kind of fallout would you think would happen?

You will probably start seeing more reviews about Hardy over the next year or two. Hardy has setup its own Hardy/Greys distribution network in North America. It's got a great product selection that is mixed with some classic styles and some modern ones (including an $8000 reel). Because of its new distribution network and some offshore made product, Hardy product prices are going lower on many models.

MP
MP: Thanks for the great explanation on what is going on with Hardy!

Larry

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MP thanks for the post.I also think it's a question of fashion.Hardy rods were in the fashion in the early 70's then it was Diamondback,then Orvis,RST...etc.
Now very few people fish Hardy in France there are very few dealers and fishermen think their rods are too expensive and old fashioned.Maybe they're wrong.

mojo

Reaction score
Read some of the posts on other sites from Europeans and they all want Sage, Winston, T&T and custom rods. I like Hardy glass rods but there's U.S. makers out there that leave them in the dust as far as design goes. I think the same with Sage and Winston. They're way ahead of the game compared to Hardy rods.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We have had some discussion about Hardy Rods before. I think the problem is they want the same money, or more, for a Korean made rod than what a high end USA rod would cost. If you are paying that much money why not just get a USA rod.

Frank

Pleccy

Reaction score
Hardy IMO are overpriced, however the Demon series has had a good following and its sister company, Greys, is certainly more popular in the UK for the overall price.

Here's my general opinion some on of the rods that I've tried out (at the CLA gamefair earlier this year)...

Angel and Angel TE - You might as well use a garden cane, the blanks are prone to breakage (I can already hear the cries of disbelief! :icon_roll) and it looks like they've been pasted in ketchup followed by varnish. These things are way overpriced.

Marksman - Again, overpriced for what it is and the blank doesn't have a lot of 'soul', you'd be better off with a St. croix at this price. The cork is fairly rough too.

Zane - Not too bad, however you'd get mugged for the reel insert.

Demon - Perhaps the best in the 'performance' range, these have more feel in the blanks, the cork is better for the price and they don't possess too much 'bling'.

Don't get me started on the £50 warranty fee that applies in the UK. Give me a choice between a £375 Marksman and a £160 St. croix Avid, I'd take the avid any day, and it's not because of the price.

crittergetter

Reaction score
I haven't tried a Hardy yet... However, a FFF Master Instructor that I know let me try out a GREYS he had and now I am hooked. Grey's is not over priced and the "Connectedness" I got from the 10' streamflex was great.. I even tried it side by side with a helios and felt I could feel the tug/bump quicker and better with the GREYS than the Helios...

Price is $300 vs $800 I will go for the $300..

He actually felt the $300 rod was very close his very own DEMON. for a fraction of the cost.

He did say the exactly what our UK friend says the Angle "it is way way to price for how it performs... You can get a better cast from a Greys 8 Traveling Mission 6 piece than that rod"

IF you get a chance try out the GREYS.. I sure like them and I have been trying a bunch Scott's, Sage's, Orvis's this last year. I am now converted from Scott 9' to Greys 10'.. And not because of the cast it is because how the feel of fish hits on the line transfer down the rod. And it is sad because I really like SCOTT..

Crittergetter

devon flyfisher

Reaction score
Bit of a cheek really, market it as Hardy which is synonymous with quality and made in the UK, but actually as previously stated produced in the far east.
Nothing actually wrong with the far east as they produce some great rods/carbon but i wonder what Hardy pay for them?
It's Sage for me, or i build it myself on a Batson blank.
Cheers
Richard

mojo

Reaction score
A quote from a guy on another forum...

"Hardy now rely on their name, not their products"

Too true... :rolleyes:
Now, hold on there. Maybe with the rods, but the reels? They've come down in price, the ones I've seen have tighter tolerances than the old English built ones.
I may never own another Hardy rod (not counting the glass rods) but I'd buy another Korean Hardy in a second.

Pleccy

Reaction score
Now, hold on there. Maybe with the rods, but the reels? They've come down in price, the ones I've seen have tighter tolerances than the old English built ones.
I may never own another Hardy rod (not counting the glass rods) but I'd buy another Korean Hardy in a second.
The reels aren't what concern me, maybe the comment made on the other forum was a bit wide. The Demon reels are very good and I would gladly give the Zane some accreditation, however the Angel reels are notorious for faults with the drag mechanisms. Don't get me started on their wading jackets, 'breathable' means 'with holes'...

Still as Devon Flyfisher has said it is a bit cheeky to sell a rod (in this case the Angel TE) made in Korea for £800, compare the Greys Streamflex for £170 and a £375 marksman, then tell me which one you prefer at the end. ;)

A few strike it lucky with the rods and enjoy them, a few don't. It's upto you.