Loop Fly Rods

speyrod1

Reaction score
Ive gone threw alot of threads and have read many reviews so lets have some voices on Loop Traditionals and Spey Rods
Ive been playing around with the Adventure 5wt 3 piece and i have thrown alot of casts with some of the so called top fly rods and i would highly recommend trying this fly rod out if you want value and quality for your dollar

sanjuanloop

Reaction score
Loop is all I throw.....LOVE my 2 yellow lines....very powerful & deliberate! I also have a black line, 2 blue lines & a green line....if you don't know about them you'll spend too much on something else!:eek:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
after all of the reviews LOOP has gotten i would of thought there would of been more people try them out if you havnt tried these you are missing out on a good choice of a stick either traditional or spey or their switch

http://soonorthflyshop.shawwebspace.ca/pages/view/soo_north_fly_shop/
I have nothing personal against Loop. I'm sure it makes a fine product. But have you seen its dealer network? In all of the United States, Loop has its products in 15 shops in 11 states. In my home state of California, only one shop carries Loop. I'm not surprised that hardly anyone is trying its products.

MP

speyrod1

Reaction score
I dont think you can go on what the dealership page is showing as i know for a fact its not updated to include all dealers in North America
Im suggesting trying one out if you get a chance to you may just be the proud new owner of 1 :D

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I dont think you can go on what the dealership page is showing as i know for a fact its not updated to include all dealers in North America
Im suggesting trying one out if you get a chance to you may just be the proud new owner of 1 :D
I also forgot to add this piece from the LOOP site

"Casting guru Göran Andersson joined Loop and designed Sage’s two-handed rods and revolutionary new fly lines (Loop Custom that were cut and adjusted to preferred length and weight) that were adapted for Görans new casting-technique; the “Underhand Cast.” Not long after Kurt Danielsson contacted Loop and noted that the current reels were of poor quality and soon the new team had developed the first large arbor reel. The year was 1984.When the first Loop large arbor reel hit the market most anglers found it totally bizarre and we had little success getting the tradition-bound fly fishers of the time to buy such a weird fly reel. It took a few years for the reel to make its impression, but today over 20 years later nearly all fly reels are built according to the Loop standard.Speycasting with a DT-line and slow action rod has also evolved over the years and today most of the new casting styles are very similar to the “Underhand Cast” with new progressive rods and relatively short WF-lines. The “Underhand Cast” has indeed progressed and changed speycasting for the better and will continue to be a major influence for years to come.

Enthusiastically they started up a mail order business and small retail store. Local courses were held by them to help spread the knowledge about fly fishing. It was all very small scale and kept close to their home. A few years later they partnered with American fly rod manufacture Sage, and luckily fly fishing was starting to take hold in Sweden."

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Part of being an owner of a fly rod is having a dealer network that will handle any issues. If a person drops $700 on a fly rod, that person would want to make sure that he gets the proper customer service with that rod. I have broken a lot of rods over the years. I have been able to drop them off at the local retailer and have them shipped off. Two weeks later, the rod comes back repaired or replaced at a small handling cost. I could ship a rod myself, but I like knowing that there is a retailer willing to give me the proper customer service for my purchase.

I know what most of the specialty shops in Northern California from the Central Valley to the Oregon border has. None of them have Loop. I might consider casting one if Loop puts its inventory in a shop.

MP

speyrod1

Reaction score
Tell you what I have never met you but i would be willing to ship you a 5wt to try if you want to split the cost of me shipping it to you send me a message with your phone number and i will call you

speyrod1

Reaction score
Sorry i mentioned a new rod that is better then most people own seems that when someone mentions a superb product on this site someone has to pipe up and try and shoot it down before they even try it out
Rod manufactorers should stop trying to improve their products i guess

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Speyrod,

Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to shoot it down. As I said in my first reply, "I have nothing personal against Loop." I am sure that Loop has a fantastic product. Your enthusiams shows that you enjoy the product quite a bit. I have been of a fan of its reels. I own a Loop Classic 811 Spey reel that I bought when the local shop was an authorized Loop dealer.

MP

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Have done some searching on this forum as well and found very little information on Loop fly rods. I own the Loop Opti Creek 388-4. I will tell you that this 3 wt. is an absolute pleasure to fish. On the faster side with amazing touch and feel, it's the nicest spring creek rod out there for smaller streams and will hit a 50 ft. cast with aplomb. I like it for throwing small nymphs in size 12 and under and it's killer on dry flies. I use it more than my 8 ft. 4 Biix and my 490 4 Z Axis - although I have used it longer.

I went to cast a biix 9ft. 5 wt. today because I'm in the market for a new 5 wt. The shop owner knows I love that Loop and handed me the Loop 9 ft. 5 wt. Nymph series rod. First of all, it is a beautiful blank and the wraps on it are exquisite. It's an aluminum reel seat, same as the 3 wt. so fans of wood and such will be disappointed in that aspect. It has grown on me on the 3 wt. The Loop outperformed the biix for me by a long shot. It has the soft tip like the biix but has none of that Winston noodle like feel that you get on their rods when you go past 8 1/2 feet.

If anyone has a Loop dealer near you, you should give it a try. Fantastic fly rod at a couple hundred bucks less than the high end Sage, Winston, Loomis and Scott rods. Fast enough, with plenty of backbone.

Cheers,
Mike.

joshgamble

Reaction score
I always wanted to know more about them, but they are pretty elusive. Their US website is full of blanks too. Weird,seems they have a phantom following,just need to some decent distribution and representation.

Tajue17

Reaction score
I've tried pretty much all the loop rods including the X-grips and I must say they are just as nice as my sages,, I'm not that experienced but they balance and feel great when casting,, I won't say they are AS fast as my TCX but they do throw pretty smooth and remind me of the winstons I tried except imagine a winston without the slower tip if you can do that.

my local shop is the bears den and they carry Loop,, I still love my mega-loop reel and just bought by 3rd spool for it and I seem to use it more than my abel..

for the best loop deals go the the bears den and then to the discount page for some sweet and very cheap loop trout rods to try out.

without tooting the horn too much what I did not like with the loop X-Grips was when your holding it normal your thumb is on a point,,, so you end up holding the rod where the reel is at 7 o:clock instead of 6..

very happy with loop so far!

ajax16

Reaction score
I have the newest of LOOP rods: "Evotec" in 8,10 & 12. Tested them from April until now with redfish, bonefish, permit, jack crevalle and tarpon.

In my opinion, the LOOP Evotec series and the LOOP Opti reels with RIO flylines has replaced the G Loomis CC GLXs & Bauers in our vessels.

I have broken two rods and received rapid replacement service from LOOP USA Castaway Flyshop in Idaho.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry i mentioned a new rod that is better then most people own seems that when someone mentions a superb product on this site someone has to pipe up and try and shoot it down before they even try it out
Rod manufactorers should stop trying to improve their products i guess
Hi speyrod,

Everything is cool here, as with the forum format found else where there will be opinions rendered on posts and products. Generally our members avoid negative replies and this is what makes this such an enjoyable forum to participate in. Your opinions and observations are valued as much as any others so please don't take offense if a different view is expressed. Open discussion is what brings many facts to light.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Tajue17

Reaction score
I should of also added that I wish Loop made their rods in 9# which is the common place where i fish in the northeast where 8# is considred light and 10# is considered heavy.

oregonsteel

Reaction score
Have done some searching on this forum as well and found very little information on Loop fly rods. I own the Loop Opti Creek 388-4. I will tell you that this 3 wt. is an absolute pleasure to fish. On the faster side with amazing touch and feel, it's the nicest spring creek rod out there for smaller streams and will hit a 50 ft. cast with aplomb. I like it for throwing small nymphs in size 12 and under and it's killer on dry flies. I use it more than my 8 ft. 4 Biix and my 490 4 Z Axis - although I have used it longer.

I went to cast a biix 9ft. 5 wt. today because I'm in the market for a new 5 wt. The shop owner knows I love that Loop and handed me the Loop 9 ft. 5 wt. Nymph series rod. First of all, it is a beautiful blank and the wraps on it are exquisite. It's an aluminum reel seat, same as the 3 wt. so fans of wood and such will be disappointed in that aspect. It has grown on me on the 3 wt. The Loop outperformed the biix for me by a long shot. It has the soft tip like the biix but has none of that Winston noodle like feel that you get on their rods when you go past 8 1/2 feet.

If anyone has a Loop dealer near you, you should give it a try. Fantastic fly rod at a couple hundred bucks less than the high end Sage, Winston, Loomis and Scott rods. Fast enough, with plenty of backbone.

Cheers,
Mike.
Exactly. A rod that is made in China/korea that is almost the cost of the highest price US made. You do know loop is made in China/korea, right? Korea I am sure. Go to castaway fly shop page, the spey rods go for
$740 - $1,050 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That is MUCH MORE than what a custom made Meiser costs, or a sage z axis. Heck, it is about the same as the G loomis NRX which has the best warranty in the business.

Look at the reels. Their made in South Korea reels are $850, $995

Last edited:

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Exactly. A rod that is made in China/korea that is almost the cost of the highest price US made. You do know loop is made in China/korea, right? Korea I am sure. Go to castaway fly shop page, the spey rods go for
$740 - $1,050 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That is MUCH MORE than what a custom made Meiser costs, or a sage z axis. Heck, it is about the same as the G loomis NRX which has the best warranty in the business.

Look at the reels. Their made in South Korea reels are $850, $995
Yes, they are made in Korea, rods and reels. The reels have significant components made in Switzerland. In Korea, this is not a "shipped overseas" for manufacture. They own and operate the factory in Korea. I did my research.

So yes, they are made overseas. Yes they are not made in the USA. But neither is my Audi and I wouldn't trade it for a Ford or a Chevy.

I bought both of my rods under $400, which is $350 less than my Z-Axis and $300 less than my GLX. I bought a Loop Opti Creek reel that was $350 on sale. Definitely would not pay the $600 list for it... but it's the nicest reel I own, and I own Galvan, Lamson, Orvis.

Not sure why the hate or why I feel the need to defend a product I simply said I like and that if you're in the market, you should check out....

Cheers,
Mike.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts;

I am going to add my thoughts to this thread and I hope you will respect them as such and not as a harsh rebuke to your position. There is a famous quote that originated from a person praying that goes something like this; God please give me the ability to change things that I can, give me the strength to endure the things that I can't, and please grant me the wisdom to be able to tell the difference between the two.

We have seen the made in USA vs. made in Asia argument many times in threads here before. I do not understand the aversion to the Asian products given the world we live in. Personally I enjoy the wide range of products available to consumers. Here in the United States citizens have many freedoms and making decisions about purchasing goods is one of them. A certain level of flag waving when it comes to the origin of products is understandable. Taking a position against goods produced in another country as an individual is a personal choice although it does little to strengthen the market share of the domestic products. Markets have a way of finding an equilibrium and no amount of protest regardless of how vociferous that protest becomes from any one individual will affect the outcome of the consumer trends on a whole.

What do I know about all of this? If it were not for competition from foreign manufactures I would today be drawing a rather large pension. That pension would be drawn on Bethlehem Steel Corporation. I worked for the worlds best known name in steel for 16 years only to see the company fold in the face of competition so there certainly would be no good reason for me to support foreign made fly rods and reels other than 'reason'.

The right to be bitter about anything at all is another freedom that we have. however I must remind people from time to time that this is a fly fishing forum and not a place to bring issues that we are prepared to harangue upon to the point of alienating others. Mike has made clear that he has no desire to be involved in further discussion on this and seeks no argument so for the sake of being good sports let's let this one go.

Many thanks,

Ard