St Croix Avid or Sage Launch???

rebfly

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and pretty new to fly fishing too. I am looking to get a couple of rods, one in a 7 ft 9 inch 3 wt and another in a 9 foot 8 wt, and both of these rods seem to fall into similar price points. I would love to hear some of your experiences with both. I want the smaller rod for panfishing and the larger for largemouth bass at home and Redfish in the marsh. Thanks in advance for your input.

Pleccy

Reaction score
Both are very good rods for the money, I'd recommend trying both out before buying if you can. I compared a Sage Flight with a Z-axis (not a fair comparison I know) however I was pleasantly surprised to find the Flight a fairly nice rod, the cork isn't 'top-notch' however it's probably about average for the budget end.

I've just bought a St. Croix Avid in the 9ft #5 size, it gets 10/10 from me. :D

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi rebfly,

I think you would like the Avid in the 7'6" 3wt but the Avid would not be my choice for the 8wt. The Sage Flight would be a better 8wt rod. You should also look at the Redington CPX rod in an 8wt.

All of the Sage and Redington Rods are available from ReelFlyrod.com. They are a sponsor that offers free shipping and Todd is the best to work with.

What rod are you using now?

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
The Avid has a much nicer finish than the Launch, and it performs well in
the trout sizes. I had a 9' 5wt Avid, and would have preferred the 8' 6", but
I prefer 8' 6" rods in general. St. Croix mails a nice decal after they receive
your registration, and Sage does nothing to confirm receipt;).

I've actually played with an Avid 7'9" 3wt, and it's a nice rod. The dealer we
went to had them knocked down 33% (trying to move out of the "high-end"
ff'ing biz), and I almost bought it a couple of times. It's very much like quick
bamboo*, and as I'm typing this, I may have just decided to grab that last
rod!

*Flexes deep, but with quick recovery and little bounce.

axle27

Reaction score
Though I've never tried the Sage, I vote for the Avid....call me biased.

The 8ft. 4wt I have is a dream to cast.

I am jonesing for a 9ft, 4pc 5wt. Gotta save the pennies....

rebfly

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! You have mostly confirmed my thoughts already. I was leaning toward the Avid. I am going to try to get to test cast both rods before making my final decision.

notenuftoys

Reaction score
If you don't like the 8wt, just kindly send it my way! ;) That's the next rod on my list.

Seriously, though, post your opinion. I'll be making a decision in the next few months.

jkenny250

Reaction score
My first rod was a 9' 6wt Avid, and for the money I loved it.

This season I picked up an 8'6" 4wt Sage Flight and it's definitely my new favorite toy. It has a great feel. Of course, it's a bit pricier than the Avid or Launch, but maybe worth considering.

I never cast the Launch and the 4wt vs 6wt makes the Avid vs Flight comparison difficult as well. If price is an issue, I think the Avid is a wonderful rod.

BTW I just ordered a 10' 8wt Redington Red Fly for $85. It'll be interesting to see how that performs for a budget rod, 'cause it sure fits the budget.

Dixiejack

Reaction score
With a little reservation I bought an Avid 9', 7 wt. today from Cabela's. I feel better about buying it since I read all your posts. My other rods are Orvis, Sage, G. Loomis and Dorber Group. Also have some bamboo and fiberglass rods that belonged to my dad. Too many rods and not enough time to fish.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
Both are american made rods produced by two of the best companys in the buis. My preferance is definitly for the avid. I think its a step up from the launch

Dixiejack

Reaction score
Just got my St. Croix Avid today. Very well finished and it feels good in the hand. I'm going to mount a BBS V with 7 wt. bass taper line to it and try it out this weekend if it will quit raining and my wife finds me a sport coat to wear to her niece's wedding. You know the drill. She picks it out and I try it on for fit. What's wrong with mail ordering clothes and hope they fit? Saves a lot of time for fishing.

Dixiejack

Reaction score
Never say never. I got to reading about the Albright A-5 and decided that for the price it would be a good rod to keep in my truck along side my $75.00 special 20 ga. pump. I also got a free reel with the rod.

ddombos2

Reaction score
Though I've never tried the Sage, I vote for the Avid....call me biased.

The 8ft. 4wt I have is a dream to cast.

I am jonesing for a 9ft, 4pc 5wt. Gotta save the pennies....
I just picked an A804.4 up from my local shop, and frankly, I am thinking about returning it. The action is a hint moderate, but it would work pretty good for a dry fly rig where I am wanting a little more delicate presentation. In concept, it is a nice rod at a really nice length for what I want to do.

I'm having issues with the reel seat and hardware. I can't get the reel to hold still (even indoors in the warm air). I've tried cranking the thing down tighter than I would like for the longevity of the hardware and its finish. I've put 2 reels on it, and after a 18-24 casting strokes, it starts loosening up.

I'm thinking of going instead to the Sage Flight 486-4. Can anybody help me in this decision? I've got a Sage DS2 in 5-wt and a 6-wt, and they are nice rods. As I've grown in the sport, I feel more comfy in a faster action. Will there be enough difference between a Flight 486 and a DS2 590 to justify the purchase?

FrankB2

Reaction score
I had a Sage DS2 5wt, and had reel holding issues like you describe with your
Avid.:confused: The DS2 was a great casting rod, but I returned it because of the reel issue. The shop owner told me I wasn't the first person to complain
about this. I bought my DS2 back in 2004, and only remember it as a nice
moderate-fast action rod.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi rebfly,

I think if you got a Sage Flight you would be very pleased with it. It would be my pick over an Avid. I feel about the Avid just as you do but I wasn't aware of a reel seat problem. What two reels did you try on the reel seat of the Avid. If they are big and heavy that might account for the problem.

Sometimes when casting the angler will turn the reel to the side. This gives the reel momentum and causes side pressure on the reel seat. If you are one of these casters you might try keeping the reel more in line with the forward/backward motion of the rod. You might try your reel on another rod and see if you have any problems. Also make sure there is no lubricant on the rod seat or the reel seat.

Frank

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I own a four wt. Avid and LOVE it. It is my favorite rod. The softer action really lends itself to the lighter weights, 3, 4, and 5.

I also own a 6 wt. Flight for punching stuff into the wind or throwing streamers around, and it does that job very nicely as well.

As far as what I prefer to cast, my style lends itself to the Avid quite a bit.

ddombos2

Reaction score
Hi rebfly,

I think if you got a Sage Flight you would be very pleased with it. It would be my pick over an Avid. I feel about the Avid just as you do but I wasn't aware of a reel seat problem. What two reels did you try on the reel seat of the Avid. If they are big and heavy that might account for the problem.

Sometimes when casting the angler will turn the reel to the side. This gives the reel momentum and causes side pressure on the reel seat. If you are one of these casters you might try keeping the reel more in line with the forward/backward motion of the rod. You might try your reel on another rod and see if you have any problems. Also make sure there is no lubricant on the rod seat or the reel seat.

Frank
Well, the reels i tried were a Ross Evolution 1.5 (intended for the oufit) and a Fly Logic FLO 456. Both had the issue. I use past tense, because that rod is back and the shop, and I have done something crazy. I took my Evolution in and cast a 490 Z-axis and a 4710 TXL. I made the dreadful mistake of casting the TXL first, which was probably wrong in hindsight. Comparing a 2.375 oz. rod to a 3.0625 oz. rod ain't fair. Funny when a rod weighing just over 3 ounces feels heavy. Plus I kepting throwing tailing loops with the Z-Axis. Probably the result of peing able to put more pressure on the TXL w/o penalty.

I'm the new owner of a TXL 4710-3. If you like the Avid, you'll LOVE the TXL. St. Croix, I'll keep you in mind for gear rods...

I own a four wt. Avid and LOVE it. It is my favorite rod. The softer action really lends itself to the lighter weights, 3, 4, and 5.

I also own a 6 wt. Flight for punching stuff into the wind or throwing streamers around, and it does that job very nicely as well.

As far as what I prefer to cast, my style lends itself to the Avid quite a bit.
...and I agree with you. That is what conflicted me with the whole thing. I liked the action of the blank, and the size of the rod. I'd recommend the rod, with the caveate that the owner should fit up whatever reel he/she intends to use and give the thing a thorough going-over before closing the deal. Just like FrankB2 with his DS2, its probably just a fluke thing that nobody ever heard of before. Then again, I have a history with St. Croix that is full of nit-picky stuff like this. Should the inserts on two of my spinning rod guides come out after 3 months?...should my inshore saltwater rod twist 90 degrees to the left when flexed? Regardless, at the end of the day...I'm the new owner of a TXL 4710-3. I want nothing more than a premium rod manufacturer in the midwest, but they have to start the fit and finish on their product befitting the cost they command.

Last edited:

axle27

Reaction score
The reel seat problem is something new to me. Perhaps you got a "Friday afternoon" rod. One thing I will say about St. Croix is that they will stand behind whatever they sell. That's a good bunch up there.

I'm almost ready to cast the 7wt, if the weather would cooperate. Still a good bit of snow on the ground. I wanted to get the rod way in advance of my trip. If I cast it and don't like it, I can sell it and move on. It would be a pity, though. I do love the 4wt.

The action is slower than other rods I have, but I think it's buttery, once you get the rhythm. I'm anxious to see how it handles larger flies in the 7wt.

To each there own....