rod for fishing back streams.

fly_guy

Reaction score
hi everyone,
right now i have a 9ft rod and reel combo from scientific anglers. i have been fishing about a year now and want to get in on some of our awsome little streams. i searched around and i found a 6ft rod from orvis (im 14, i dont have 400 bucks for it) and i looked at cabelas and the shortest they have is 7'6. anyone know of anything for a cheap price?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Look around for an Eagle Claw Featherlight
They're a decent, cheap, fiberglass rod that come in a 6'6" 5wt and a 7' 5/6wt.
They use to sell them at W*lmart but I think you'll have to look around or get one on line.
They're only around 20 bucks and worth it.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I would suggest getting a 7'-8' rod. 6' rods are so short they're tough to cast overhead and near worthless for roll casting.

I've had a 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight and I can't really recommend it. (action is downright floppy) HOWEVER- they made some big changes to that rod for the 2010 model year and the new version is supposed to be MUCH nicer to fish- http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/10726/t/2010-Eagle-Claws.html

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have and regularly use a 6'6" Featherlight
I use it on the tight brook trout streams here in my area. Brooks that would be too narrow to use a 7'6" rod on.
On my my rod I use a 4WF line most often but a 3DT works too
I don't find it 'floppy' at all, but I'm use to fishing fiberglass. In fact my 3 favorite trout rods are all glass

My Feather Light however is a vintage 1963 Wright & McGill, not the modern Eagle Claw version
Last year, I did buy and fish a 7' Eagle Claw when Walmart was closing them out.
While it was not as nice a rod as my W&M, it was a decent casting rod and worth every cent of the 10 bucks I paid for it.

Edit
I should probably add that when it's really tight, with my Feather Light I can hold the rod parallel with the water, reel held behind my back effectively 'choking up' 6-8 inches, and still cast with only a foot of line out of the tip-top
Try that with a graphite rod

Last edited:

axle27

Reaction score
You can get a Featherlight from Troutlet.com for about $24.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't want to be an antiestablishment protester but....I always fish small streams even when they're overgrown with my 9ft ot 9,5 rod...far better for rollcast,dapping,crossbow cast and to control the line:Dsometimes use my 10ft#4 too:p

fly_guy

Reaction score
will a 5wt be too heavy duty?
im talking georgia backstreams. but i do like the tfo so if a 5wt isnt too much im going with it.

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to be an antiestablishment protester but....I always fish small streams even when they're overgrown with my 9ft ot 9,5 rod...far better for rollcast,dapping,crossbow cast and to control the line:Dsometimes use my 10ft#4 too:p

Although all of my UL rods are 7'6-8' I would have to agree with this. I mostly fish small backcountry streams. I have yet to find any place that I can’t fish my rods on. To the OP have you tried looking on eBay for good deals? Too bad you didn't post this thread sooner I just sold a TFO 3wt setup (with reel and XPS line) for a 100 bucks.

fly_guy

Reaction score
oooo man, and you just had to tell me huh? :wow:
lol i think im going with that tfo.

chasazfish

Reaction score
Hi All

Live in AZ, so most of our Streams/Rivers are small. I have been Fishing the Cortland Brook Series 7 foot 3wt Rod and Love it. In fact I liked it so much I decided to become a reseller for them. They also make a less expensive Series called ProCast they make a 6. 5 foot 3 wt rood and 7 foot rod that I also tried and liked a lot...

Good Luck in your search!

Charlie

AZFISHGUIDE.COM

gjcordray

Reaction score
I know that Ross Worldwide makes a 7'6" 4 weight in their FS line for $119. I own a 8'6" 3 weight that my daughter uses on little beaver ponds. It is really pretty smooth.