RL winston Boron IIx...

Pleccy

Reaction score
I've decided to ask this on here as I will hopefully be able to get an opinion from across the pond.

I've seen a couple of used RL winston Boron IIx's (9ft #5's) for sale on the net, I can't try one out unfortunately (as the nearest Winston dealer is nearly 200 miles away :rolleyes:).

So my question is, what is the action like on these rods? How would this action compare to the likes of the Scott S4 or the Sage Z-axis (i.e slower, faster)? I only want the rod for general nymphing and dry flies on stillwaters using a floating line. It would also come in handy for the hill tarns during the summer.

Jackster

Reaction score
I have this rod but haven't cast the Scott S4 to compare it to.
The BIIx works extremely well for me. Once I learned to use the tip for shorter casts and let the tip get out of the way for long casts it simply blew me away.
It really is, to me anyhow, like having three 5 weight rods rolled into one.
For nymphing you will enjoy the light weight but the downfall might be on setting the hook with just a twitch. It is not a stiff, fast rod in the normal sense.
Even though I also have the 5 weight in a BIImX, I would buy the BIIx again in a heartbeat.

Pocono

Reaction score
I fish a 9'0" Sage Z-Axis as my "go to" rod for mid-sized streams and rivers; I don't stillwater fish much at all. It's very good rod, with what I'd call a fast action. It works well with dries, streamers, foam terrestrials, nymphs (both weighted and unweighted) and furry Prairie Dog-sized flies. It has a pretty good feel to it; particularly at long distances and has tons of reserve backbone for when you hook into larger fish. I've fished it for 3 years now and I've been happy with the way that the blank works for me. I'm sure that you know the rod well, but here it is again:

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=242758

As an aside, I like the Z-Axis a lot better in a 5 wt. than I do the Sage TCX. I cast that rod in 5, 6 and 7 wts. and the heavier the blank, the more I like it. It's what I would call an ultra-fast rod and in a 7 wt. I liked it enough to purchase one and it's now my standard Smallmouth bass rod.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=242753

I haven't cast the Scott S4, but understand that it's billed by the manufacturer as a fast action rod. I do have a good amount of experience with their new A3 blank. I cast it this Summer in a 7, 8, 9 and 10 wt. and I like the 9'0" 9 wt. enough to make it my regular rod for fishing Stripers in and around the Kennebec River in Maine. It's a medium action rod with a wonderful feel for heavy payloads and when fishing with a lot of wind.

http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods2/a3

But, my wife fishes a Winston BIIx 8'6" 5 wt. and, to be totally transparent on the topic of your question, the minute she puts her rod down, I pick it up! :) There's just something about that rod; the lightness in the hand, the feel, the presentations, etc. I don't know what Winston put into their BIIx technology, but they have a very, very nice blank there in my opinion.

http://www.winstonrods.com/boronIIx.html

I don't think that you would be disappointed with the performance of a BIIx in a 5 wt. Good luck!

Pocono

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

I would add that the action on the Winston BIIx is, for me, medium-fast.

So the action sequence on the rods above would be:

TCX - ultra-fast
Z-Axis - fast
BIIx - medium fast (tending more toward fast)
A3 - medium fast (tending more toward medium)

Pleccy

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Pocono, the action of the Winston sounds like what I'm after. I need something that can be used at fairly short range without 'boucing' fish off, yet be able to deliver a decent cast.

Bamboo10

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Pocono, the action of the Winston sounds like what I'm after. I need something that can be used at fairly short range without 'boucing' fish off, yet be able to deliver a decent cast.
Pleccy:
The BIIX will serve you well for this, I have seen Jackster drop a fly in a cup at 20 ft. and then put out a 100+ ft. cast with his 9 ft. 5 wt. BIIX rod. In my opinion one of the best all round rods on the market.
GJ

Pleccy

Reaction score
Pleccy:
The BIIX will serve you well for this, I have seen Jackster drop a fly in a cup at 20 ft. and then put out a 100+ ft. cast with his 9 ft. 5 wt. BIIX rod. In my opinion one of the best all round rods on the market.
GJ
That's what I want to hear! :D

Is it your Xmas order Luke?;)you'll be able to put a fly in a thimble at 20ft with that rod;)
Yep, it's for christmas, more and more of my stillwater fishing is being done with natural patterns now so I use a 9ft #5 most of the time. :)

Joni

Reaction score
I don't have the 5 weight, but I do have the 6 weight and the 8 weight and they are unbelievable.
I have used the 8 weight on waters that have 12" fish before. It is so sensitive and feels lighter than most 5 weights.
I agree, you can't go wrong!!!!

crittergetter

Reaction score
I tried and loved the BIIX. However, when I actually used it to nymph fish I couldn't hook set worth a hoot. Matter of fact I snag hooked 3/4 of my fish with it nymphing. (did the same with the Scott G)

If I were to have another top water rod I believe the BIIX is one of the sweetest rod out there. It just wasn't for me and I sold mine because I Nymph fish 95% of the time

Jackster

Reaction score
I have never cast the 5 wt. But I own the 10 wt. It has a pretty fast action. I like it because I cast big flies far. I'm pretty sure the 5 would be a real fast action as well. You would probably like it better for streamers than little tiny flies.
Owning the 5, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is a fine dry fly rod. One of the reasons I like it so much is that it has the guts to toss streamers and lead as if it was made for that too.
The soft tip that fools fast rod freaks is part of the BIIx's secret. That tip works quite well in delivering dry flies (with a good leader setup of course)
What I enjoy is when I let someone who favors fast rods try a BIIx then proceed to tail all over the place. Once they learn to just let the rod do the work along with a smooth application of power they usually get that 'ah-ha' moment.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Owning the 5, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is a fine dry fly rod. One of the reasons I like it so much is that it has the guts to toss streamers and lead as if it was made for that too.
The soft tip that fools fast rod freaks is part of the BIIx's secret. That tip works quite well in delivering dry flies (with a good leader setup of course)
What I enjoy is when I let someone who favors fast rods try a BIIx then proceed to tail all over the place. Once they learn to just let the rod do the work along with a smooth application of power they usually get that 'ah-ha' moment.
I'm glad you told me that. I really love my 10wt. It's good to know it would be good for small flies as well as those streamer type flies. More bang for the buck.

mojo

Reaction score
I tried and loved the BIIX. However, when I actually used it to nymph fish I couldn't hook set worth a hoot. Matter of fact I snag hooked 3/4 of my fish with it nymphing. (did the same with the Scott G)

If I were to have another top water rod I believe the BIIX is one of the sweetest rod out there. It just wasn't for me and I sold mine because I Nymph fish 95% of the time
Interesting. With a 6w BIIX nymphing, I've never had that problem. Most often the fish hook themselves. It's a very sensitive rod. You feel everything and just discerning when to raise your rod (telling the difference between fish and whatever) is the key. As for using it with a dry, it's an exceptional rod. Stillwater fishing it's a dream. The only graphite rods I fish with are the BIIX and LT5. Rest are 'glass.

Joni

Reaction score
I got to agree with Mojo. I think it is a great dry rod. Like I said, I have an 8 wt and have used it instead of a 5 because it feels soooooo good.

crittergetter

Reaction score
Mojo
I figured it was something I was doing but couldn't figure it out and it made me sick. I got a killer deal on that rod on EBAY and fell in love with it until I tried Nymphing. I had the same problem with a Scott G. If I could have adjusted my set somehow I would be a Winston owner. As it stand I sold it back at least I made $20 on it. I have been considering trying a 10' Winston. Since last year I am converted over to 10' rods for nymphing. I have never seen any BIIX 10' rods on EBAY yet but I am watching.

Critter

racine

Reaction score
Pleccy:
GJ
Wow, there are some seriously accurate and long casters here! This gives me hope with my 8 wt. I have trouble getting it out to 100ft(my entire line)... I love the action and recently compared the 5wt BIIX to the ZXL. I could not decide. For fresh I'd say go with Winston but not for salt. If anything you'll love the feel.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Great tune and album BTW. He was just as good live...

Pocono

Reaction score
Luke,

You can always lawn/snow cast it and that target cup will stand up to accept your fly must fine on either grass or snow. Just put a small nail throught the bottom of it to hold it in place, attach your fly and enjoy the great casting action of your new rod.

You're going to love it!

Pocono