Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xp v z axis

Question Xp v z axis

hi, do any of you have xp's and the z axis in the same line rating and length, if so what differences do you find between the two and is the z a better rod and in what way ?
    keith

Blog Entries

Default Re: Xp v z axis

Keith,
    I owned XP rods since day one of the release. I now own Z-Axis rods in the 590-4, 691-4, and the 6110-4 models.

The quick answer is that the better rod is the one that will feel better to the caster. Each person will have a reason to like one better than the other.

The Z-Axis is lighter and has a softer tip than the XP. Both rods are still considered fast action rods. Someone who is used to casting an XP will have to back off the forward stroke a tad.

MP

i have heard people say that the z axis feels a stronger rod, do you find this ?? my sage dealer is willing to send me one to try, its just good to get feedback from others first
    keith

Blog Entries

Keith,
    I won't say if the Z-Axis feels like a stronger rod. Both rods have plenty of butt strength to put the hurt onto a fish.

The biggest difference that I feel is in the casting. If you can match your casting stroke with the Z-Axis, you will feel that you can generate more line speed than that of the XP with less effort.

MP

Blog Entries

I feel a sadness at the loss of the XP model in the Sage line. I like to push a little with a rod tip, and the Z is softer for sure. Is this bad? Mosca said it, depends on the user.
    I guide with both models, and switch out with clients, and most never notice. I like a fast action rod for long distance, wind, bobbers, and big flies. I think the Z is a fine rod, but does it replace the XP? I don't think it does. If you need the speed, the TCX may be a better call. If you only cast dries the Z works great. I've heard Cabelas bought the XP from Sage, so you might still buy one if need be.
    Last edited by Bigfly; 08-01-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

im a lot happier now because i just found and bought a new factory built 10 foot 5# xp, i have been after one for 18 months...
    keith

Blog Entries

Glad you scored, let us know how it works out. The 10 ft. model is sweet on our water, allowing a mend "out there". I jumped up to a 11ft 6wt Z switch, and now mend waaay out there! Love it.

Bigfly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    Glad you scored, let us know how it works out. The 10 ft. model is sweet on our water, allowing a mend "out there". I jumped up to a 11ft 6wt Z switch, and now mend waaay out there! Love it.
    Bigfly: Do you notice any real difference in arm fatigue while holding the 11 ft rod thru the course of a days fishing?

Larry

thats why i only use 4# and 5# up to 10 foot, 6#and 7# up to 9.6 foot, any more in length the higher line weights aggravates my arthritis in my spine, making me tire quick, that means less fishing
    keith

Blog Entries

Larry, sorry I didn't get back to ya. I have old guy shoulders. Being able to single, or two hand it, is really nice. The Sage switch is very light, and no problem, I can fish all day.
    On med, to larger waters I rarely fish anything else. I can cover more water, more easily than I can with a 9-10 ft. rod. I recommend an on water test drive.

Bigfly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast