Sage 99 Series

txbevo

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience yet with the new Sage 99 series rods? All of the lit talks about this being designed specifically as a nymphing rod. The trout rods I currently have are all in the 8'6" length and I have wondered if I should get a longer rod to help with mending, etc... These rods sound interesting, but since they are new I am wondering what folks actual experience with them are as opposed to what the marketing folks are telling us.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi txbevo,

I don't know anything about the Sage 99 but I bet Mosca does.

I use a 9' 5wt for nymphing for several years and then went to the 9'6" 5wt. I liked the 9'6" much better for all subsurface fishing. I think you will really like the 9'6" length. It will feel a little different in hand but you will quickly get use to it. I suggest you handle some 9'6" rods with a reel attached. You might want to take in a reel with line and backing attached to get a good feel of the balance.

Frank

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
One of these days, I'll borrow a 99 rod from my Sage rep.

Here is what I have learned from people who have fished it already.

1. You need to use a true nymphing line with it for nymphing. The 99 works best with a line 2 to 3 sizes overlined to flip indo-bobber/weight/nymph rigs. This makes for a nice open loop. The recommended lines are Sage Nymph Taper (match rod weight with line weight - the line is already overlined), Rio Indicator Taper (upline by 2), Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon Taper (upline by 3), SA Mastery Steelhead Taper (upline by 3).

2. When overhead casting, the rod does not like to be pushed hard. If you have a quick stroke, slow down.

3. If you want to swing fish, the rod casts beautifully with a matching line weight or one over if you need to slow it down. When I casted the 6 weight in the parking lot, I felt comfortable with the 6 weight Rio Grand demo line.

4. One of my friends likes the 6 weight as a single handed Spey rod. It works well with a Beulah Elixir Switch line.

MP

Bigfly

Reaction score
Mr. pesador called it. The 99 akes a nice compliment to a dry fly rod.
I normally carry two rods, so I don't have to switch back and forth.

pvsprme

Reaction score
I handled one in a fly shop, along with the Scott Limited Edition model. They are not light, when compared to a comparable length/weight premium rod. Different feel; heavy tip, flexible butt. I think they'd perform well if throwing a lot of weight but as said above, you'd need to open/slow your stroke. My preference would be a 9' or longer Z Axis or Loomis GLX/HLS. Both these rods will nymph yet have tips that'll settle a #18 like a feather. They are more versatile, IMHO.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Testing a Sage 599-4 this week.
I should say off the top, I fish Sage. Have for a long time. Didn't want my opinion alone.
So I started handing it to friends/guides/clients in between testing it myself of course.
It came with a sweet (Rise) Reddington reel, lined with a RIO 6wt Steelhead taper.
So far, it's a hit.
Even though the line isn't really designed to cast for distance, this rod can seriously huck. I threw a sz 12 Skwalla across the river 60+ ft with out even trying. Then mended more easily than a nine footer can.
At 9ft 9inches, it gives that extra reach high sticking. Generation 5 technology makes it very light weight.
Water loads are a dream, and then there is the power/reach you can apply to one handed roll casts and associated spey casts/mends.
It easily handles a 3/4" indicator several BB's shot a med sized fly and dropper, no problem.
The oversized guides handle a fatter line and is clearly designed for shooting it.
One nice thing, when using a 9' leader, you can rig up for walking (hook on holder) with 3" of fly line through the terminal guide.
I like the ability to fish closer, than with my switch rod as well.
I tend to wade deep at times, and I like the feeling this rod gives, of not having to hold my arm quite so high to cast.
This not a long Z-axis. The Sage rep told me it was designed from paper up.
For those that loyally fished the XP model from Sage, this rod may partly fill the void.
This thing has a snappy power and may be the best rod for the water I regularly fish (Truckee River).
It'll handle wind, the distance w/dries, and the different styles of fishing, bobbercating, streamers, sinking line.
This could be love. You can always tell a good rod, by how much you don't want to return it. Now, to try the 6wt!

Jim

Last edited: