Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Introductory Rod for a beginner..

A couple of years ago, I was more or less in your shoes. I had fly fished up until my early teens then took about 35 years off. I ended up buying a Sage Launch and an Orvis Mid Arbor reel off of eBay and have been happy with both. However, if I was doing it again, I'd look hard at some of the Cabela's outfits. Their upper end gear gets good reviews and the cost is about equal to the lowest priced Sage, Orvis, Winston and other big name companies rods. Additionally, Cabela's has these outfits on sale fairly often.

2. Default Re: Introductory Rod for a beginner..

If I may throw another suggestion in the ring, why not look at Bass Pro for this rod White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek Fly Outfits I got it for Christmas about five years ago and it's still going strong. I've caught Trout, Bass, Blue Gill, and Carp with it and it's never given me a bit of trouble. I originally started out with a Shakespeare but the handle and reel holder fell off of it after about three months. When you make it to the Smokies, drop off into Townsend and visit the Orvis store there. They might be able to hook you up with some lessons or tell you about guiding services. Hope this helps.
    Aaron
    There is nothing more philosophical nor poetic than a man standing in a river waving a stick.

Default Re: Introductory Rod for a beginner..

Shakespeare Wonderod.... They are a fiberglass rod and kind of old school but I like them. They are fairly inexpensive but cast like a dream.

Blog Entries

lots of great info here, casting a rod before buying is the best path to take. that being said, if you can find a nice sage launch on ebay, get it. i think that they are terrific rods at a nice price.

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by troutman View Post
    If I may throw another suggestion in the ring, why not look at Bass Pro for this rod White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek Fly Outfits
    I had the 7'6" outfit...4wt. That's even a nice outfit for a seasoned flyfisher. The only thing I would do is put a good line on it. I may redeem myself...I have a $50 BPS gift card to use towards it!

Cheers,

Robert

6. Default Re: Introductory Rod for a beginner..

I recently got into fly fishing and purchased Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3wt (3pc) with Prestige Plus reel. It came with fly line, backing, and leader for $89. I'm catching fish! Ignorance is bliss, and I can't be happier.

I fish local small streams where the typical rainbow is 6". But, I also plan on doing high alpine lakes/streams in the Sierras for brook trout and golden trout. These are relatively small fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12