Lesser known brands

drnihili

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a rod to replace the one I left at the lake. Money being tight these days, I'm looking for a bargain. So I've been scanning for lesser known brands, ones that are priced below there performance and which can be had cheaply on Ebay because they aren't famous brands.

So far I'm looking at the Albright A5, Echo Classic, and March Brown Hidden Water. I've been pleased with my son's Flextec CRX88, but I'd like something different just for the sake of variety. I'm mainly looking at 5wt, but would take a 4 or maybe a 6 if it were a good enough deal. It must be at least 4 pieces and ideally 8'6". I'm flexible on the length and weight, not on the pieces.

Does anyone have any comments on those brands, or recommendations about other brands/models I should keep an eye out for?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
We have had several good comments on the Albright A5 from members in the past. Last year they had a great sale going on but when I got on their web site most of the rods were sold out. Dorian.Ducker a member of the forum has an A5, if he doesn't see this thread you might PM him and ask his opinion.

Larry

drnihili

Reaction score
For some reason I'm not a fan of TFO. Can't say anything specific against them, but everyone I've handled has left me feeling "meh". I guess there's no accounting for taste. Beyond that, I seldom see them on Ebay for much below what I can buy them for retail. Part of that is because there doesn't seem to be as much retail markup for them, but I think they're also becoming more of a known brand.

drnihili

Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for Grey's. Unfortunately it seems their lower models are only 3 piece, and for packing reasons I need at least 4. Their upper models come in 4-6 pieces, but of course those aren't on closeout. I'll keep an eye out on the bay for a deal though.

A St. Croix Imperial is what I left at the lake. :( Very nice rods. I've been looking at an Avid for around 180, but to be honest that's stretching my budget. Beyond that, I have an itch to try something different, all I've ever owned are St. Croix. My ex ended up with a 4/5 and a 5/6 when I had the good sense to leave her. I liked them well enough I got another to replace them. But now that it's gone, I'm thinking about branching out.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Does anyone know much about Scierra?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
i have a pac bay 9wt blank i bought, and it made one of the best rods i have had the chance to cast.. and paid a fraction of the big names..
I have a PacBay Rainforest 8wt. The discontinued IM6, not the "II" IM7
I use it more than any other rod I own. If the "II" is a better blank then it would make an outstanding rod

drnihili

Reaction score
So I'm looking at a new March Brown Hidden Water 5wt. for $110. Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
So I'm looking at a new March Brown Hidden Water 5wt. for $110. Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger?
Ask yourself these questions. If you can live with the answers, then buy the rod.

Does March Brown offer a warranty with its products?

Does a March Brown fly bought through a clearing house qualify for its warranty program, or does it have to bought through an authorized retailer?

What is the warranty program?

MP

drnihili

Reaction score
Per this thread they do honor the warranty on rods even from Ebay. I have a query into them directly. I'll post when I get an answer.

The warranty is lifetime, no excuses needed. You send in the rod or broken piece and $35, they make it right. The general buzz on the net is that they are very easy to work with, although there are one or two disatisfied customers out there also.

Hard to see how the answers could be any better.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Albright A5 hands down. I love my A5 5 weight. I have used the warranty and been happy with it, no hassle. The finish is excellent. If you can still get one on sale you should snap it up. I know everyone says you have to cast a rod to see if it is for you, but this rod has a very forgiving medium fast action that anyone with a decent cast can make work for them. No I do not work for Albright, I have just been very happy with the product. Added bonus....5 piece rod packs smaller!! (you mentioned that was an issue.)

drnihili

Reaction score
I tried for an A5 a few days ago, but somebody wanted it worse than I did. I called Albright, but they said they won't have any more til May. So I decided to move on. I do hear that they're wonderful rods.

So tonight I pulled the trigger on the March Brown. I'm anxious for it to get here. Maybe I can borrow my son's rod til then. ;)

drnihili

Reaction score
Got a bit of time on the pond with the March Brown today. I'm not overly impressed so far, though to be fair I spent more time paddling my wife and son around than I did fishing. Thinking about taking the March Brown and the Flextec out this weekend and do a little comparative casting when I can concentrate.

Pocono

Reaction score
I carry a 7-piece 8'0" 4 wt. March Brown in the saddle bags of my motorcycle all the time (along with the other necessary fishing gear; reel, leaders, tippe,t flies plus shirt, pants. cap and fishing sandals). When I'm out cruising, if I see a stream or river that looks promising, I just pull off the rod, gear down/gear up and have some fun for an hour or two. My MB rod lacks the backbone of some of the better rods, but for relatively short casts; less than 50", and medium sized fish, I think that it gets the job done.

drnihili

Reaction score
I carry a 7-piece 8'0" 4 wt. March Brown in the saddle bags of my motorcycle all the time (along with the other necessary fishing gear; reel, leaders, tippe,t flies plus shirt, pants. cap and fishing sandals). When I'm out cruising, if I see a stream or river that looks promising, I just pull off the rod, gear down/gear up and have some fun for an hour or two. My MB rod lacks the backbone of some of the better rods, but for relatively short casts; less than 50", and medium sized fish, I think that it gets the job done.
Yeah, it's certainly a serviceable rod, and perfect for the use you put it to. Even if that's all it amounts to I'll be hard pressed to complain at the price I got it for. I'll know more once I get some time to use it without other distractions, and I do want to compare it to the Flextec which seems quite nice for its price.

racine

Reaction score
Re: Lesser known brands-Albright!

Albright A5 hands down. I love my A5 5 weight. I have used the warranty and been happy with it, no hassle. The finish is excellent. If you can still get one on sale you should snap it up. I know everyone says you have to cast a rod to see if it is for you, but this rod has a very forgiving medium fast action that anyone with a decent cast can make work for them. No I do not work for Albright, I have just been very happy with the product. Added bonus....5 piece rod packs smaller!! (you mentioned that was an issue.)
Ditto to everything you've said. Every time I fish my A5s I get a nice smile on my face when that 60-70 ft cast goes exactly where I want it, when I've finessed & landed that 16-22" brown 20 min. later in fast water on 6x, and when a fellow fisherman shows me his 2 homemade greenstix BIIX. I smile because I'm pleased I've got a rod with the performance of my Sage SLT and my BIIX in a package 1/6 the cost and yet I'm not worried I'm gonna lose it all the time and that it enforces the concept that it's not the arrow but the indian that counts. I guess I'm saying this is an awesome rod-for me ;^)