Steffen Brothers Graphite Rod

mhclayton

Reaction score
There is a lot of discussion about the Steffen Bros. fiberglass rods, but I am wondering if anyone has tried their graphite rods? Sounds like a medium action rod, but how do they fish, and what do they compare to? I am considering building a rod from a blank, but wonder what they are like-- I don't know anyone who has one. For the record, I am mostly a small stream guy who likes fiberglass, bamboo and slower-actioned graphite (love my old Powell rods). Sure, I use fast rods in Alaska but my real love is a small mountain stream, 10" fish and no one within a mile on my streams.

fishstick91

Reaction score
It's been two years since this thread, and information on Steffen Graphite is still scarce outside of their own web site. I thought I would redirect this thread with the same question. Anyone out there have the low down on Steffen graphite?

planettrout

Reaction score
OK...just saw this. I have a Steffen Graphite, 9', 6wt. 4pc., that I got back in the early 90's...It was one of the first 4pc, rods, for back packing. I took it into the GTW here in CA. It is a medium action rod that served me well when the winds picked up, I used it mainly for nymphing and some dry fly fishing and streamer tossing...still have it and got it at a very reasonable price.

That rod provided me with a lot of nice Trout, including Golden hybrids up on the South Fork of the Kern River, way up above Monache Meadows...

HERE:

PT/TB :)

fishstick91

Reaction score
I got a chance to fish the Kern a couple years ago further upstream near Whitney. There is nothing more breathtaking in all creation than those hybrid goldens and Kern River rainbows. I'm itching to go back. Missed the chance at a Steffan graphite recently, but it sounds like a noble rod to keep an eye out for.

lcnsac

Reaction score
Hello there fishstick:) As the man who sold me my first Steffen glass rod, I'm please to report to you I just picked up a 5 wt. 7'6" Steffen graphite rod, and although I haven't fished it yet it casts beautifully and after a couple of casts you know a Steffen is in your hands. Let's get together soon and do some more casting.

~John

jastrout

Reaction score
I proudly own a Steffen glass 8'3/4 glass and beautiful graphite 8' 3/4 two piece that my custom builder called a cross between Sage LL 7'11" 3 wght and Winston TMF 8' 4 wght. Possibly the nicest small stream dry fly rod I own and distinctly different from its glass brother . Much slower actually . Steffen graphite rods may no longer be available but please do not quote me on that as I may be in error. But they are a very rare breed but to me classic graphite in the F&F , Scott G , Sage LL legends.

lcnsac

Reaction score
His website still has a few graphite rods listed with pricing. That could be outdated, don't know. I've written Mark with the markings on my rod to get a production date from him.

At 7'6" mine is faster than a Winston IM6 or a Scott G. It's very light and casts beautifully. I am quite sure I'll be able to use some streamers too and it's definitely got some reserve in the butt.

mhclayton

Reaction score
I called Steffen Bros. recently as I was interested in a blank to build out for my daughter. They are no longer producing graphite as they prefer 'glass, and I am sure that is what most people contacting them want.