Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default cheap rod casts great

A couple years ago I bought a spool of mono fishing line on eBay and the seller shipped me a Scientific Anglers 5/6wt 8'6" rod by mistake. I phoned the seller and he said if I wanted the rod he'd let me have it instead of the line rather than pay shipping to get the rod back and get the line to me. I kept it and just stuck it in my rod rack and forgot about it.

Today I decided to try it, so I stuck a reel loaded with a WF5F line on it and went to the local lake. Fish didn't cooperate (only caught 1 'gill), but I was getting more line out with less effort than I usually accomplish with my 9' 6wt rod and a light wind in my face.
    This rod may get some use this summer when the wind rules out using the 3wt and I'm not throwing big flies.
    Mike

Default Re: cheap rod casts great

I will have to say. Some of the Cabelas an bass pro brands are nice rods an cheap to, compared to the big boys. I bought a 4 wt from Bass pro an I love it.

What I found out was Bass pro under rates there rods. I put a 5 wt wf line on it an now can actually feel the rod load.

I've cast some lower priced rods that impressed me. The last one was a BPS model called the "Dogwood Canyon." Redington's "Crosswater" rods have also worked nicely too!

I have discovered that casting a higher quality flyline (like SA's GPX) will also make a lower priced rod come to life.

Then again, I've cast some expensive rods that never turned me on either!

Cheers,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
    I've cast some lower priced rods that impressed me. The last one was a BPS model called the "Dogwood Canyon." Redington's "Crosswater" rods have also worked nicely too!

I have discovered that casting a higher quality flyline (like SA's GPX) will also make a lower priced rod come to life.

Then again, I've cast some expensive rods that never turned me on either!

Cheers,

Robert
    I learned on my BPS Dogwood canyon, and I wasn't the biggest fan. I felt that when I upgraded to a TFO that I instantly became a better caster. However, I think alot of this has to do with the casting stroke of the user. I might like it a little better now that I have learned how to cast a moderate action rod. Every rod has fans, and critics that know what they are talking about. I just got a couple RiverBeast fly rods off of e-bay for about $30 each and they really impressed me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    A couple years ago I bought a spool of mono fishing line on eBay and the seller shipped me a Scientific Anglers 5/6wt 8'6" rod by mistake. I phoned the seller and he said if I wanted the rod he'd let me have it instead of the line rather than pay shipping to get the rod back and get the line to me. I kept it and just stuck it in my rod rack and forgot about it.

my wife learned to cast on a scienific anglers rod very similar too, if not that same model as this one. its done her very well and produced many fish for.and for the price i paid (i think 20 bucks off of stp), it was well worth it. its been relegated to a back up rod but still sees its fair time on the water.

casey

ARFE

Talking Re: cheap rod casts great

Come to think of it, I had that Scientific Anglers rod (2pc 6wt). It worked, and it was very light in hand! I believe I caught my first flyrod fish with it.

If they (SA) would produce a 7 footer or 7 1/2 footer in 4wt (in 3 or 4pc) I would only fish with this rod!

Cheers,

Robert

I've been buying the Redington Red Fly 2 from Cabelas lately. They had all of them for a while at 50 -75 dollars, but now their down to a select few. I contacted redington since I have the crosswater kit and I found out that the Red.Fly2 have a lifetime warranty on them. You can't go wrong for that price and they cast amazingly well.

Hi Ghost,

I have relatives from Appleton, Neenah, and Menasha. I used to cruise College Ave when I used to visit. Nice town.

Redington flyrods are nice, and not expensive. That Crosswater knocked me out!

I've found there are only a few rods that are dogs...the ones located in the discount bin at the department stores.

Cheers,

Robert