I am looking for some info on these 5 rods?

rockhoppernc

Reaction score
well just got these 4 rods and looking for some info and what they might be worth? and a date made?
bought them in a lot
they are all in great shape....
shakespears wonder rod, 7'7 fy a120

this one I am going to keep,,,:wow:
scientific anglears 7'7 5 wt- system 5-B4908

southbend black beauty 8' 5/6 wt
looks brand new

grantsport RD 440 - no info on size or wt,,looking for info

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The 'System' rods were fairly high end, built on Fisher blanks in the late '70s. There's a bit of a collector's market for them so it might be worth somewhere around $75-$100,... just a guess. Nice rod, good find.

The Wonder rod,(a 7wt) well there's collectors of those too, but they don't have the same value and there's a ton of them out there. Yours might be worth $25 on a good day. The Wonder rods have a 3 letter date code. If you can find it, I can tell you when it was made.

Don't know anything about the Grandsport and the South Bend probably cost $15 new and has no resale value at all.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopper,

I would want to give that SA 7'7" #5 a whirl before a sale............. That just might be a fine medium water dry fly rod. If so I would shop for the SA System reel in a #5 to use with it. These were made by Hardy and are like a Marquis #5, a really nice reel and very affordable on the used market.

rockhoppernc

Reaction score
I am going to keep the scientific anglears 7'7 5 wt- system 5-B4908
it is one fine looking rod,,,I came with a martin 61 reel on it..nice looking

rockhoppernc

Reaction score
Well found the number,< ECH >
so it was made march of 1968, nice find, .
I was playing in the yard with all 5 rods today and got to know them a little..Kinda fun to see what the rods can do..and how each one is a little different.

Each of the first two letters is translated to a numerical digit per the following table:

Date code key part 1: letters to year digits

K J H G F E D C B A
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

These two digits, when prefixed with '19', indicate the year of manufacture. For example, from the date code 'EJF', we take the first two letters 'EJ' and translate these to '62' using the preceding table. This results in the year '1962'.

The third letter in the date code indicates the month, per the following table:

Date code key part 2: letters to month

K J H G F E D C B A L M
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Continuing with the previous example of date code EJF, the letter 'F' from this table gives us 'May' as the month. Therefore the complete translation of date code EJF is 'May 1962'.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Well I just found a reel tucked away,,forgot I even had it,,:ranting3:
Nice old martin 63

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/9/1/6/5/1/webimg/368190224_tp.jpg

Even have the box

nice little reel,,

burk48237

Reaction score
That SA would be an EXCELLENT small creek trout rod. It could become your go to small stream rod. In the Smokies a lot of guys run a stimulator with a nymph which doesn't cast so well on lighter rods.

The Shakespeare may be worth more then $25, the ones that are shorter, under 8' tend to go for a bit more.

The South Bend is one I use to sell, with the right line it might be OK for a kid to learn fly fishing, but they are a mediocre rod at best. It is a fairly recent Chinese rod, but made there before they were turning out much value.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The South Bend is one I use to sell, with the right line it might be OK for a kid to learn fly fishing, but they are a mediocre rod at best. It is a fairly recent Chinese rod, but made there before they were turning out much value.
I noticed that printing on it looks exactly like whats on a Shakespeare Intrepid spin rod I bought around '99, for maybe $30.