Orvis T3 9' 9wt info???

knik

Reaction score
Picked one up on clearance for a few bucks less than a TICr X, will be using it in Alaska come August.

Having a hard time finding info on this rod and curious as to opinions........ so.......... good, bad, ugly?

Thanks for any info.

achampion

Reaction score
Agree with Dennis.
It was one of Orvis' higher-end rods, you can consider the Hydros as today's equivalent.
I have one in a 9' 6wt tip-flex and I like it for bigger rivers.
-A.

Joni

Reaction score
I have one in a 6 wt. but it was the top of the line for many years. Mine being one of the first was over $600. It was the first of it's kind using Helicopter plastic and graphite or something like that and one of the first LIGHT weight super strong rods.

They did end up putting cheaper hardware on it and lowered the price a couple hundred like the Helios to Hydros. The number on the rod will tell you if it is one of the originals with the titanium or one of the newer budget rods.

At any rate, it is a fabulous rod and I agree, go cast it, but I am betting you will be pleased.

You didn't say what the flex is. But if it is the tip flex like achampion and myself, in my opinion it is so much smoother and snappier than the TICr. It really isn't in the same class, to me.

Last edited:

knik

Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks.

It is a tip flex.

Only been chasing mountain trout in the Smokies for a year now, so the larger rods are all new to me. But of all the 8wt. and 9wt. rods I tried, the T3 felt and cast the best for me.

Thanks again

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks.

It is a tip flex.

Only been chasing mountain trout in the Smokies for a year now, so the larger rods are all new to me. But of all the 8wt. and 9wt. rods I tried, the T3 felt and cast the best for me.

Thanks again
Knik: I have the same rod in a 6 wt, tip flex, I use it for streamer fishing and love the way that rod feels. It is a little stiff for me for nymph fishing so I use another rod that is a 5 wt mid-flex for that style of fishing, but when I'm throwing streamers I like the T-3. If it is really windy (springtime in Wyoming) I jump to a Sage z-axis in a 7 wt for throwing the big double bunny style flies.

Larry