White River Rods

dsssox13

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with them? If so how do you like them? Thanks for your replies.

crittergetter

Reaction score
Only my opinion. I shop both and go to both spots...

But..., I would run to Cabela's before I would run to Bass Pro, when it comes to Fly fishing... Now when it comes to spin cast the tables change.

You can always spend a little more and maybe get a St. Croix.

Cabela's will also put their "Kits" on sale from time to time. They have fanny pack, rod, reel and line for $100 to $200.

turner66

Reaction score
dsssox13,
Honestly, under the right conditions, they are a quite serviceable rod in my opinion. I only have 1 in the family, It belongs to my 8 yr old daughter. It's a 7' 4wt Dogwood Canyon. She is very small for her age, and she does quite well with it. It was a fine choice for her to learn on and continue sharpening her skills. She likes it so much she gives it kisses :D

My 11 yr old son who now mostly fishes a 9' 5wt Sage Launch (which replaced a 8'6" 5wt St Croix) really liked her "little rod" when he tried it too, easily and softly laying down short casts as well as 45-50 ft casts with regularity in a no wind situation. Where I really noticed that it falls short is in a stiff breeze. It is certainly a slower action rod, and doesn't have the backbone to cast into the wind.

For me, I'd have to slow my casting stroke way down. But, what the heck, it wasn't for me anyway and it got my youngest involved in the sport, so it earned it's spot on the rod rack ;)

I have no comment on any of the other White River rods because I haven't tried any of them. But if you're looking at the Dogwood Canyon, I say consider your fishing conditions, and cast one if you can before you buy it. It'll certainly catch fish, but there's a good chance it may not meet fully your expectations.
Regards