Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick my 7wt

Default Pick my 7wt

I am looking for a 7wt to use for bass and and to use for shad during the spring run. For shad I will be using a full sink 250-300 grain line. I was thinking on looking for a ST Croix Avid or Legend, or used Loomis Cross current. Any others I should look at. I just sold my Sage RPL+ 6wt that just didn't suit my casting style.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pick my 7wt

What's your casting stroke? Fast? Medium fast?

MP

It leans more towards the Fast. I have to talk to myself to slow down and let the line load.

Blog Entries

I cannot comment on the rods that you listed. But here are some rods that I have casted that could work for you.

Premium
    Sage Z-Axis 790-4
    Scott S4 907/4
    Winston BIIMx 9' 7 Weight

Price Point
    Sage Flight 790-4
    Winston Vapor 9' 7 Weight
    Redington CPX 9074

MP

As far as I'm concerned, all of MP's suggestions are good ones. The Redington CPX is, in my opinion, a very good rod. I still fish its forerunner, the CPS in an 8 wt. for Stripers and love it.

But, if you like fast action, then have a go at a Sage 9'0" TCX. It's the 7 wt. that I use for Smallmouths and it doubled very well for me this Spring fishing for Bones in the salt.

All the line speed you could ever ask for and not at all "clubby", as it's predecessor, the TCR, was. It's pricey, but it's a great rod that's light, accurate and can show you your backing without much effort.

Pocono

MP
    Thanks for the recommedations. I hope to get out and try to look at some of those rods. Hard to find the Redington and Scott in my area. I have heard a lot of things about the Winstons. I have never cast one if them either.

What about the Sage Bass series 7w would be the Bluegill rod. For the price and line they don't look bad. Also Redington has a bass rod in the Predator. 6,8,9 and 10W for $199 there's been great reviews of the Redington too. I'd like to get a 6w for stillwater fishing. I'm a gear wh0re anyway.
    But they might be too short (7'11") for what you want.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I ended up picking up a St Croix Avid 9' 7 wt. I had thought I would pick up something else but I was offered a new rod for $95 from a guy that was going to take up fly fishing but never got to it. For the price I could not let it go. I have the same rod in a 5 wt and it has severd me well. Should make a good small mouth rod, with the med action it should work out well as my backup steelhead rod for the Erie tribs also.

Avid is a good rod...action is a bit slow, tho.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Hi Tracker 12,

Avid is a very good rod for stream fishing but not my choice for tossing a full sinking line. You will have to let us know how it works for you. My favorite rod is a Sage RPL+ so maybe you made a good choice for you.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast