I Need Distance

grousehunter49

Reaction score
I have 8'6" rods, 9'6" rods and I have 2 10' rods mostly 8# what combonation do I need to cast a full line? I use WF lines and TT. Man I got my arm sore. Thank you.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The line you use will influence your distance, I've heard the SA Sharkskin line really shoots the line out. I have never used it, but several members here recommend it. Assuming you have good casting form, I would suggest you learn to double haul. Here is a video that might help. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcE-9WPuZ04]YouTube - Learn the Double Haul Cast with Mel Krieger[/ame]

Larry

cketh

Reaction score
If you're really making casts that long you might want to under line your rod by a weight. A long rod will also be a help. Beyond those things, just work on your cast and get completely intuitive with double hauling. Don't have to think about it.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Let's say that you have a well timed double haul. What are you fishing for that will demand such a long cast (I'm guessing saltwater or stripers?).

A shooting head system and a 9' 8 weight makes for a distance casting rig (at least for my quiver of rods).

MP

grousehunter49

Reaction score
Nope- I,m after sea trout and browns, there is a hole that gradually slopes up to a weed bed, and thats where they stay,20' out off reach, if only I could get that extra few coils of line off my reel, i,de reach them.

grousehunter49

Reaction score
I was reaching a few this morning, It,s like rideing a bike, once you know, you never forget, but when you don,t know, it,s pretty hard, I,ll get there yet.

Bigfly

Reaction score
GH49, are you useing a shooting basket?
Between a basket, the dblhaul, and a properly matched (and cleaned) line, you should be in there.
Don't know what rod your waving around, but the last time I had a sore arm I was test driving a clients too soft rod. A soft rod can lead to useing more muscle.
A faster rod and a compact casting stroke will throw all of a line and more.
Remember, the force is all around you.
Hope you get to them.

Jim

Last edited:

grousehunter49

Reaction score
I made a basket last year, and it works good, but I have,nt been using it lately, should though. I am using a 10' St Croix Legend Ultra, 444 8# WF and a 10' 8/9# XRD 44 Superflex with 9# Wolf TT