Orvis Access

rbreedi1

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these rods or have handled one? Looking for some opinions/reviews on them. I appreciate it, thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I'm hoping one of the members will have some feed back for you. What I can tell you is that I have been owning and casting Orvis rods since 1979 and never cast a bad one. This includes rods from the old Green Mountain series, the original Superfine series rods, Rocky Mountain label, Silver Label, and PM-10 rods. I also have three bamboo from their shop, two were custom build (6'6" 3 weight Flea & an 8' 6 weight) the other is a 1964 8' 10" Light Salmon in eight weight. Even that old wood salmon stick casts beautifully and will handle our silvers with ease.

So, I don't know about the Access rods but I would not hesitate to say they are probably good to go.

Ard

caseywise

Reaction score
hello,
i have a close friend that works at a orvis endorsed lodge. he seems to think that they're great. although it is a relatively new model, ive only heard stellar reviews. diddo for the access reels.

casey

hunt247

Reaction score
I am new to fly fishing this year so my opinion might not be worth much to you, but I do have a 10' 8-wt Access, so far out of all the rods I've casted the Access was still my my favorite rod. It's light, fast & casts a mile with ease, I've casted anything from large streamers to #16 caddis flys with no problems.

wannafish

Reaction score
I found this thread in a search and it fits for what I need to know so I'll post here; I just won an Orvis Access rod in a C&R picture draw at a local outfitter and found that the ferrules (which have no finish on them) seat about 1/2 inch before they should. I contacted Orvis and they say the rod is supposed to have a 3/8 to 3/4 inch gap to allow for the flex of the rod through the ferrules! I think it makes the rod look like it's defective. Does this bother anyone else or am I too picky? I'll probably sell the rod.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I've fished with one of these a few times now; its actually my brothers in laws rod. I'm pretty impressed with the way it handles and feels. It is VERY light, the 9'5Wt is 2 1/2 ounces. It is a modern style rod, in that it is on the faster end of the spectrum, but it is definitely not the stiffest rod out there. I had no trouble blasting tight loops with small streamers 60-70'. It was pretty effortless to fish with at all normal distances. MADE IN VERMONT, not overseas like some of there new stuff these days. My only complaint is a pretty ugly crooked thread down by the cork; not going to matter one bit, but Winston or T&T would have never let that leave the shop.

Wannafish: The ferrules on all rods are made differently, and I can't remember this one exactly but I think I know what you are talking about. Alot of rods are finished and clearcoated all the way to the top of the male end , some rods are not, they have color and finish and then leave the last 2" or so unfinished black graphite. I know TFO does this on alot of models and I agree, it looks bad to have 4 sections of pretty polished rod, with an inch of dull graphite showing in-between every section. I remember a thread on here about one of the big $$$ rods being made this way, and alot of people agree with you, its not pretty. I don't think I would sell a rod that fishes great because of the ferulle style though, but it is your rod and you have the right to be as picky as you want.

wannafish

Reaction score
Wannafish: The ferrules on all rods are made differently, and I can't remember this one exactly but I think I know what you are talking about. Alot of rods are finished and clearcoated all the way to the top of the male end , some rods are not, they have color and finish and then leave the last 2" or so unfinished black graphite. I know TFO does this on alot of models and I agree, it looks bad to have 4 sections of pretty polished rod, with an inch of dull graphite showing in-between every section. I remember a thread on here about one of the big $$$ rods being made this way, and alot of people agree with you, its not pretty. I don't think I would sell a rod that fishes great because of the ferulle style though, but it is your rod and you have the right to be as picky as you want.
That's exactly what I meant. I've never seen a rod made like that until this one. My Orvis Clearwater II (made in Korea) has the finish to the top of the male ferrule and it looks great. It's a much cheaper rod but so far I like it better than the Access after one casting session with each rod on the lawn. They are both 9' 9wt tip flex rods. The only down side to the Clearwater is the lower grade cork.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
That's exactly what I meant. I've never seen a rod made like that until this one. My Orvis Clearwater II (made in Korea) has the finish to the top of the male ferrule and it looks great. It's a much cheaper rod but so far I like it better than the Access after one casting session with each rod on the lawn. They are both 9' 9wt tip flex rods. The only down side to the Clearwater is the lower grade cork.
Well, I've never built rods, and don't know for certain, but I think this is just an aesthetic choice that Orvis made when they chose to make it this way. Maybe the blank won't allow for the finished male end style??? Regardless, I don't like it much, but I loved fishing the rod, and it ranks up there with many other top tier rods I've been able to fish with. It is pretty easy to roll cast, and will also cast a decent distance with big flies too. I had no real complaints about how it cast.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Orvis's intent, and like the look or not, it is sound, is to have the sanded, uncoated surface provide greater frictional interface with the interior of the female portion of the ferrule. Less slippage yeilds a more secure mating. Loosining or twisting ferrules are the bane of multi-piece rods and, if I am not mistaken (and I don't have one on hand to check but, please, someone else take a look and report) their top-of-the-line Helios rods feature the un-finished ferrule design as well. Form follows function which is not to say, Ausable, that crummy thread work is acceptable at any price-point.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Orvis's intent, and like the look or not, it is sound, is to have the sanded, uncoated surface provide greater frictional interface with the interior of the female portion of the ferrule. Less slippage yeilds a more secure mating. Loosining or twisting ferrules are the bane of multi-piece rods and, if I am not mistaken (and I don't have one on hand to check but, please, someone else take a look and report) their top-of-the-line Helios rods feature the un-finished ferrule design as well. Form follows function which is not to say, Ausable, that crummy thread work is acceptable at any price-point.
Good to know it isn't just for looks, because I can't imagine anyone preferring this look. I just never thought of a reason. And that thread, only an eighth of an inch is misplaced, but when it is the tag end of the most prominent wrap, and it is a bright gold contrasting with the deep maroon it is pretty sad. And this one was made in VT, not korea or china. It must have been made on a monday morning; or mandatory overtime!

wannafish

Reaction score
Knowing the theory behind the gaps in this rod makes it easier to accept and the rod is growing on me I'll admit. It also has alignment dots which is a huge deal to me (so I don't have to put them on top of the finish). I still wonder why such large gaps are necessary; some being a full 3/4 inch of bare ferrule showing.

BTW, thanks for the comments/info.!

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Orvis claims the gaps are insurance against wear so that the ferules can be tightened correctly over the life of the rod. Seems a bit excessive to me too but that is their reasoning.

mdraft1

Reaction score
I have only cast one Acess rod (9' 5wt.) the action was pretty nice. I've heard that Orvis was having some issues with the thread wraps coming loose or not being fully sealed on a batch.