Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Any Sage Light Line fans?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    What line and especially leader do you use on your LL and where do you affix your fly when hiking to the stream?
    I have few different #3 lines and use rio tapered leaders on all of them. Not really a difference except between 3wf and 3dt. One is worse than the other. I wrap my tippet/leader around the reel and back to a guide to affix. I slip the line off the reel and tap the rod to flick the fly. This is another problem with this rod. That technique makes the tip of this rod vibrate and it weaves the line around the tip. One little tap. lol. I'm glad I fish bamboo. I'm not interested in fishing this rod.
    steve

Well, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Is the fly on a guide far enough forward so your line is out the tip top?

I usually go one or two guides from the stripper.
    steve

jeepster, One last question; with your fly on a guide in front of the stripper, is the tip of the fly line OUTSIDE the tip top or is the leader butt still in the guides? It is imperative that the whole leader be outside the guides to minimize the wrapping you are addressing and, importantly, so when you take the fly in hand in preparation for making a cast you don't have the knot or loop line/leader attachment inside the tip top to contend with. I put my fly on a guide as far up the rod as necessary to achieve this.

The fly line is in the guides always. I don't fish much over a nine foot leader. Someday I will get a pic of the fly line woven around the tip. That can be loosened and removed. The leader woven around the tip can be tight and has to be cut off with the nippers. Thanks for your help.
    steve

Ive been using the a custon built RPL 4711-2 LL for years as well as the VPS 586-3 LL.

7. Default Re: Any Sage Light Line fans?

Yellowstone angler has a stash of the original LL blanks 389-2 that they will make up as a custom rod for those who must have one.
    Sage L.L. Custom by Livingston Rod Co. - Yellowstone Angler

8. Likes el jefe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    OK, I'll bite.
    586-3 is my favorite. More like a 4wt. Sweet cast for dries.
    Not really heavy enough for the fish/water here.
    It's in temp retirement and tubed. I'll never let it go though.
    Many years on it, twenty-five something at least.
    It was a good investment.
    I have this same rod and agree with Big Fly that it is a very nice rod to cast. I also keep mine tubed and do not use it much any more. I also have a 2 pc 389 that in my opinion, has a nicer and lighter touch than the 389 3 pc. I tried both and settled for the 2 pc because of this reason. Anyway, I have always liked the LL series. SR

I never liked the stamped hardware on old LL and my source tells me the new T LL 8 1/2'/#5 is a sweetspot.

11. Default Re: Any Sage Light Line fans?

I was chatting with my Sage guy last week and asked him if he were to buy a new LL which one would he suggest? Without skipping a beat, he said "the 490". Which has my interest, as i have not updated my #4 for a LONG time. Still using the Redington RS4, which I truly enjoy and have a hard time thinking of replacing it... It was my first real rod I purchased and that thing has gone all over with me in the West, and probably has caught more fish than all my other rods combined...

Anywho... I REALLY, REALLY want to try the LL in a couple versions...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345