orvis streamline bamboo rod?

xjguy07

Reaction score
i was looking through my uncles father's fly fishing gear and found a old bamboo rod. it seems to be about a 3 or 4 weight and on it is hand written orvis streamline 6'0". i can tell it has been modifyed because it has a cabellas offshore handle on it. yes i do plan to have that taken off and the right one put back on. but i kno the rod has to be from 70 to 80's i just wanted to kon if it really was on orvis rod and did they really make it i'll have pick up tommrow.

xjguy07

Reaction score
i've put pics in my gallerie so you can look at it. their really crappy taken on a cell phone sorry.

Joni

Reaction score
xjguy07 said:
i've put pics in my gallerie so you can look at it. their really crappy taken on a cell phone sorry.
Not sure what you are talking about on the handle, but, I have two Orvis 7' 4wt. bamboos (well I got one and the ol' man got one) His is the Penns Creek two piece with two tips sold for $1,700. and mine is the Battenkill 3 pc. two tips sold for same but with it being no longer made will hopefully go up.
Orvis does hand write on the side of the rod, does it have anything else written on it? They make an intro level rod now called the Streamline, but they tend to keep a name in the family in one way or another, so could very well be just that. Orvis rods are not the low cost oldies, they are the works of art and you can tell by the prices I told you I paid. Not sure with the alterations. Don't know if that perminently hurt the price, and if it did, USE IT! they are sweet rods.

xjguy07

Reaction score
it is hand written on one side near the handle orvis streamline 6'0" and on the other side stil hand written and in the same text ermil scheck the previous owner. i kno the rod is from the 60's or 70's most likely and is octoginal and seems to be a full flex.
i fished with it today on a pond and had a blast coughta few 6 inch sunnies and they felt like monsters on it. when i switched back to my other orvis it fely like a i had never fished before, it has a feel of it's own and i love it, but my friendon the other hand hated it.i'll put up some more pics to help with iddentification.

edit: ok sorry pics are now up.

Joni

Reaction score
Am I missing it...where are the pictures? I gotta see this baby.
I tell you, I teach several of my students on FULL FLEX or Glass rods, cause it teaches you how to wait for it. Plus when fishing with a boo or glass, the hook sets it's self.

Joni

Reaction score
A little too blurry. Maybe try Macro on the pictures. Is that a Spinning outfit? if so, you might be look at an older than 60's.

xjguy07

Reaction score
yeah its a cabellas spinning handle on an ovris rod im trying to figure out what it orginally came with so i can get that put back on.

Joni

Reaction score
Not just the handle, it looks like the guides are for spinning.
Orvis has like a on line hot line, it is in the customer service heading. Try them and see if they can give you more info.

dshort

Reaction score
Old Orvis rods came with a serial number. You can email Orvis and they'll tell you the exact day the rod was completed if yours has one.

xjguy07

Reaction score
oh just as an update to anyone who is wondering, i got into email contact a while back with a bamboo rod builder/ repair guy. gave him som information and found out it is a type of spin rod not a fly rod. forget the type it was but not a normal kind. some kinda specility spin rod.