reconditioning cork

caseywise

Reaction score
i have a few older rods whos cork have seen alot of fish slime and other nasty stuff. i wouldnt mind doin a little tlc to make em' look/feel better. ive heard everything from sand paper to magic erasers.

casey

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reconditioning corks

Casey,clean them with an old toothbrush and soap...when they're dry you can fill holes with special paste...sand paper to finish...they'll look like new.If they're really damaged change them;)

Pocono

Reaction score
Yup, as J-P says, a good soap and water cleaning with a soft bristle tooth brush will remove a lot of the material that you've mentioned. Then, after washing, you can see if something more is needed.

A lot of people feel pretty strongly about keeping the "fish mojo" that's usually pretty evident on the cork of a well-fished rod. But I like mine a little more on the clean side.

If, after washing, you want to go further, then here's how I do it.

1. If you want to leave the surface of the grip intact (or close to intact), then get yourself some fine bronze wool. Mix in a good detegent with some abrasive in it (I use a product called "Soft Scrub") and give it another wash. Don't bear down hard; let the abrasive and the bronze wool do the the job for you. Usually, this is all it takes for me. [Here's another thing that works for me as part of the cleaning sequence. Wet a paper towel and wrap it around the grip several times. Leave it in contact with the grip overnight, then proceed with the bronze wool/detergent wash. Most of the fish slime, minus the small dirt particles, is water soluble. The wet paper towel softens up this material and makes it easier to get it off with the bronze wool washing.]

2. If you don't mind removing the surface cork from the grip, then as a second step, get yourself some #400 sandpaper (I've used all the way down to #700, but that's the slow boat to China if you're serious about removing the surface coat of cork from the grip). Wrap it around your finger so that it's curved and use a gentle forward an back motion to get the surface layer off. I use long strokes; from the tip of the grip to the end and back; turning the grip very slightly with each pass. This removes the minimum amount of surface cork; which is probably what you want to do. If you in advertently create micro-ridges with this motion, then as a finishing step, wrap a band of the sandpaper around the grip and sand lightly around the grip by turning the rod with your other hand; not back and forth. This should give you a grip that looks "almost" new.

3. If you need more, then go to a coarser grain of sandpaper. But with the coarser materials you run a higher risk of destroying the shape of your grip, which will just push you into replacing the grip or having to live with a grip that has a feel that you don't particularly like; which generally means that you'll fish the rod less. [Another downside to using coarser paper is that you then need to use a finer paper to get the smooth surface effect that you're looking for and each step introduces the opportunity to do something wrong. So, overall, fewer steps, in my opinion, is much better than more.]

Magic erasers and other eraser abrasives also work; they serve the same purposes as the sandpaper.

It's all a matter of personal taste.

Pocono

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved the thread. Casey, you most have the Ad threads as a default because all your threads are posted in the advertising section. I move them all whenever I find them.

I have been using warm water, dish detergent, and sometimes a 3M scrubby sponge (the kind you use for washing dishes) ever since I cleaned my first cork.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
I recondition cork is three simple steps: 1) Lightly sand the cork to remove dirt/deposits 2) use a wood filler to replace filler 3) Apply a cork sealer...it keeps the cork clean, doesn't deteriorate the cork, and leaves the cork looking new.

Cheers,

Robert

Jackster

Reaction score
I recondition cork is three simple steps: 1) Lightly sand the cork to remove dirt/deposits 2) use a wood filler to replace filler 3) Apply a cork sealer...it keeps the cork clean, doesn't deteriorate the cork, and leaves the cork looking new.

Cheers,

Robert
I favor foam grips. Cork looks so... so... yuppy.
Besides, that 29 cent foam grip feels better than cork, is better on the environment, matches my favorite black socks and doesn't deteriorate unless exposed to sun and air.
Foam feels every bit as good as that nasty cork and makes one cast better and catch more fish. Really. It's true.
That, plus no cleaning needed... basic black hides dirt well.
Who knows... all of the fish shots with rods with cork grips being placed under water could account for the spread of didymo and asian carp! :p

Brewmaster

Reaction score
I moved the thread. Casey, you most have the Ad threads as a default because all your threads are posted in the advertising section. I move them all whenever I find them.
QUOTE]

Ard - If you get time to move them, Caseywise also has quite a few threads with questions posted in the "News and Articles for Discussion" section as well.

silver creek

Reaction score
I've reconditioned lots of cork.

Magic erasers do work but to really remove grime and body oils, I use a tooth brush using Soft Scrub with bleach. This will get out most of the grime.

If you want the cork to be like new, use bleach after removing most of the dirt. Put some Clorox in a small bowl, dilute using about 4 parts water to 1 part Clorox, and then soak a square of paper towel on the bleach solution. Wrap the sopping wet paper towel around the cork grip. Keep it wet and check it in about 15 minutes.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Wow, this really works. I bought a used rod this weekend and inspected it and liked it. Then I went and fished it and it functioned great. As I fished it though I noticed a lot of things that bugged me ( sort of a neat freak about my gear).

I just took softscrub to the cork and pledge to the rod, I went from happy to have the rod to stoked about it.

My estimate if was to have resold that rod I would say it was 85% condition, now I could easily say 95%. The only blems left are a few scratches which would be expected with using a rod a few times....

hmmm 11 more rods to clean now :D

dhayden

Reaction score
Esiest thing I've found... take some Bon-Ami cleaner put a little on a wet rag and twist it on the cork.. grit/grime comes right off

Krebster

Reaction score
Original Ivory liquid soap, which seems to be hard to find in lots of grocery stores, and a wash cloth works wonders.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

There are a lot of good ideas here but I think the Bo-Ami is a great idea. I have never tried it but just because I never thought of it. Bon-Ami is a mildly abrasive cleaner and should do a great job.

Frank

comeonavs

Reaction score
Tad off topic but close to the cork.

I had a minor scratch in the reel seat of my ZAxis and of course it is on the side I see not under the reel mount. I keep Watco oil in light and dark around the house (former painter) works wonders on scratches in furniture and handrails. A little dark Watco oil and poof scratch is hardly detectible.

Now to clorox the cork:)