Advice on kit max $400

mdlarsson

Reaction score
I'm a totally new at fly fishing, just did a one day beginners course. I'm hooked.

Now I need a beginners starter kit.

Why buy in the US when I live in Sweden. A lot more bang for the buck.

How about..Sage VantageSAGE VANTAGE 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com
or REDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUTREDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUT 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT at ReelFlyRod
or Ross EssenceROSS ESSENCE ELITE 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com

Other alternatives or suggestions are appreciated.

Daniel in Sweden.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi Daniel,
I cannot comment on the Ross Essence Elite since I have not casted it.

The Sage and the Redington outfits have different personalities to them. Whichever one you feel matches the way that you want to fish is the one that you want.

I found the Sage rod to be very versatile. It can cast a wide range of lines and flies. One day I fished it with a 7 weight type 3 sink tip and size 6 weighted streamers. The rod performed fine. On that same trip, I used it with a 6 weight floating line with size 16 dry flies. The rod performed fine with that, too. I feel the rod's medium fast action gives the rod its versatility.

The 1650 reel works as a good line holder. I couldn't judge its drag since I did not have to put a fish on it.

The Redington CT outfit is one of my favorite price point outfits. I found the CT to be a fun dry fly rod. It can handle tiny size 20 flies as well as large size 4 stoneflies. Last year I had a fun time fishing for some large resident Rainbow Trout on a local river using size 8 foam hoppers. If you can get your timing down with this medium action rod, it can throw some weighted streamers.

The Redington CT reel is one that you would either love or hate. It has a click drag that makes start ups jerk free. It is also noisy. The reel is machined from barstock aluminum, so its tolerances are very close. The smaller rim diameter makes it look more like an old school reel, but it also makes reeling in line slower. At least there are two choices in reel color: titanium or black.

If you want versatility, you may want to lean towards the Sage outfit.

If you want more of a dry fly specialty rod, go with the Redington.

Dennis

Edit: The two outfits come with a Rio Mainstream Trout lines. They will be fine to start out with, but you may want to order a premium line for better perfromance. I would recommend the Rio Gold WF6F for either rod. Both rods cast well with it.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
MP has your answer covered, but Welcome to the forum Daniel. I hope you will continue to visit us here and let us know what you buy and how you progress with it.

Ard

caseywise

Reaction score
first off, welcome to the form:D
as far as a rod, the overseas winstons are a great bang for your buck including their awesome lifetime guarantee. pair a passport with an
allen alpha reel and allen wf line and some backing and imo your set.

casey

Hombre06

Reaction score
ReelFlyRod.com offers FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING on all orders of $399 USD or more! Shipping Costs are $39.95 for all other Orders.
I'd go with the Sage at ReelFlyRod.com ($395) but make sure you add a couple of chingaderos to get you over $399 for the free shipping.

Let us know how the fishing is in your area. SF

mdlarsson

Reaction score
How about the Redington RS4 combo, anyone tried it?

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Are Lamiglas any good, there XMG 50 Steelhead spinning are my best rods.

mojo

Reaction score
Seems like a good combo, but Cabelas takes $140 in shipping cost on a $400 order while reelandrod.com has free shipping on orders above $300.
$140 in shipping? Holy $h1t! I'd find something else too.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
How about the Redington RS4 combo, anyone tried it?
I have cast a Redington RS4. It has a fast action like many rods nowadays. Like many other rods in the $199 price point, it really didn't excite me.

Are Lamiglas any good, there XMG 50 Steelhead spinning are my best rods.
I cannot comment on any particular rod in the Lamiglas lineup. But as a company, Lamiglas carries fly rods, but it is not an innovator in fly rod technology and design.

Dennis

mdlarsson

Reaction score
If I buy a rod only, but a little more expensive one again max $400. And borrow a cheep grafite reel form a friend. I'll buy a better reel in autumn. How important is the reel?? Whould that be a better choice. At what price-point do the rods get better? Which action fast or moderate?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
If I buy a rod only, but a little more expensive one again max $400. And borrow a cheep grafite reel form a friend. I'll buy a better reel in autumn. How important is the reel??
For most trout outfits, a reel just holds line. At the six weight level, you may want to consider a better quality reel since you may be fighting a fish off of it. The ability for the reel to have a wide range of settings and to have a smooth start up is key. Also its quality of build in terms of durability and finish will ensure years of service.

Would that be a better choice?
Yes it is. Now you have the rod, reel, and line that you want.

I recommend to get the best quality reel that you can afford from a well established brand that will be around for many years. That brand should have the ability to service the reel for years to come. If you choose your investment right the first time, you won't be paying a replacement cost for it later.

At what price-point do the rods get better?
Usually when you pay more for a rod, you start to notice a few things. When you cast it, you feel that you are not working as hard. The cast seems effortless. The components are better. The guides are better quality for long term usage. The cork is better. Metal components on reel seats are machined rather than cast.

Price can be deceiving when it comes to performance. Winston sells a rod at the $199 price point called the Passport that performs beautifully. TFO has a rod called the BVK which casts better than other rods at higher price points. Redington's Classic Trout is a surprisingly fun rod at the $149 price point.

There are rods that cost $650 or more that are absolute dreams to fish with.

Which action fast or moderate?
Your choice of rod action is going to be dependent on what you want. It should match your natural stroke. If your tempo is quicker, you may like a fast action. If it is slow, go for a moderate. The rod action should also fish the manner and conditions. Will you be throwing just dry flies? Will you be throwing nymph rigs? Will you be throwing streamers? Will you be throwing a variety of flies? Wind?

You should be visiting a local fly fishing shop. You can get the right answers about the tackle because you can feel it. Casting a rod is a much saner way to figure out if it will fit rather than relying on some stranger on the internet. The shop person could help steer you towards one direction based on your needs by watching you cast and knowing the waters that you will be fishing. Plus this can be the start of a good relationship between you and the shop. Spending extra money on customer service is well worth the expense to get you outfitted correctly.

Dennis

Last edited:

ncflyboy

Reaction score
How important is the reel?? Whould that be a better choice. At what price-point do the rods get better? Which action fast or moderate?
Hi MD,

How important is a reel? Some folks prefer a strong drag, while others prefer a shiny and pretty reel riding on their rod. Some people will spend $50 for a practical reel that will last a lifetime of chasing panfish from a grassy bank. Some anglers will pay $300 for a machined reel that will survive being dropped along a rocky streamside.

At what price-point do rods get better? Honestly, I don't know...rod preference is basically a personal thing. You may find a $100 rod that turns you on, while a $400 rod that doesn't do a thing for you. If you like slow action rods, the most expensive fast action rod will not matter.

Fast or moderate action? Again, this is a personal thing. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.

If I were you, I'd try to cast different flyrods. I would try to handle as many different reels too. Visit places that sell fly gear if possible (Cabela's, flyshops, Bass Pro, etc) and check out the merchandise. Ask questions, but don't believe everything the sales person tells you...they are simply trying to sell their merchandise.

Some folks will spend $1000 for a rod, $300 for a reel, and $100 on a flyline to chase 6" trout. Another angler may spend $50 for a reel, $100 for a rod, and $40 for a line to catch 36" northern pike. In the end, the fish could care less how much you spend or what your gear looks like...as long as you can place that dry fly, popper, streamer, or wet fly as accurately as possible where you hope that fish is!:)

Cheers,

Robert

caseywise

Reaction score
robert,
good point on the reel although i would steer clear of the plastic ones. get a medalist, or an old martin 63.
theres a reason why you see so many of these reels in fine working order, 30+ years after they were made.
a middle of the road okuma slv or cortland endurance would also be a fine choice.

casey

ncflyboy

Reaction score
robert,
good point on the reel although i would steer clear of the plastic ones. get a medalist, or an old martin 63.
theres a reason why you see so many of these reels in fine working order, 30+ years after they were made.
a middle of the road okuma slv or cortland endurance would also be a fine choice.

casey
Years ago I purchased a Martin 63 from Wal-Mart...I called it a "tuna can" flyreel. That reel was fantastic, and it helped me when I started flyfishing. It was light, simple, and just plain durable!

I had a graphite reel from Scientific Anglers...it literally "fell apart" from normal use.

I think stamped, cast, and machined reels are wonderful.

Thank God we have so many different reels to choose from!

Cheers,

Robert

mdlarsson

Reaction score
I'll be fishing mostly, Trout, Grayling, Rainbow, Sea Trout and perhaps Perch. At least with this rod. For salmon and pike I'll stick with my spinning gear for now. On the west coast where I live a sea trout weighing 2kg is considered big. So I think a 5 or 6 rod would suffice.

On the east coast on the other hand where our summer house is I'd say a 2kg is average.

About casting, I've been trying on moderate action for the most part. I found moderate quite easy to "master". But I find it a bit slow for my taste. Now faster action rods, while they did feel more in my rhythm. I find it difficult to control the line. Mind you I'm quite new at this.

I'll be throwing wet, nymphs, dry, streamers, popper and booby fly's basically what I do now with my spinning gear. But with little more finesse.

As for buying my outfit in a local store, the markup is just to much. At least concerning rod and reel. Pricing examples TFO BVK $325 (online store), Sage V2 $585, Orvis Helios $1280. These ar just quick picks, but a markup non the less. You can get good deals also but there far and few.

Thanks for all well thought out replies.

Since I'm no master at english I apologize for any confusion I may cause.

Best..

Daniel Larsson

Last edited:

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

I'd try stores that you can order online: Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain, and the like. A BPS "Hobbs Creek" outfit will run about $120 online ($134 shipping & handling) for example.

Cabela's has more sales than BPS...you might score a good deal on a nice outfit (rod/reel/backing/line/leader).

Cheers,

Robert

wabi

Reaction score
I would probably choose the Ross Essence Elite outfit (thinking of buying one in 3wt for myself), and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the service from ReelFlyRod.

I've bought several rods & accessories from Todd, all shipped by mail and the one problem I did have (they shipped the wrong rod case) was quickly remedied (they shipped the correct one with a pre-paid return label for the incorrect one and refunded the slight difference in price).

mojo

Reaction score
I'm a totally new at fly fishing, just did a one day beginners course. I'm hooked.

Now I need a beginners starter kit.

Why buy in the US when I live in Sweden. A lot more bang for the buck.

How about..Sage VantageSAGE VANTAGE 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com
or REDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUTREDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUT 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT at ReelFlyRod
or Ross EssenceROSS ESSENCE ELITE 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com

Other alternatives or suggestions are appreciated.

Daniel in Sweden.
One more option for you. What about the Loop Yellow Series. I've played with the 5 w Yellow rod and I thought it was a fantastic rod. Isn't Loop made in Sweden?