Fly rod and Reel Advice Needed

sorby

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just joined the forum and I'm looking for some advice with regards to buying a new fly rod and reel.

Ive just moved over to the US from the UK and im now living in turners falls MA. Ive fly fished for all sorts of fish in the UK, but i still feel new to fly fishing and definately have a lot more to learn about fly fishing, fly tying and a lot of the terminology.

Im looking to buy a new fly rod to fish for trout and bass and other stuff in the area. I would like to buy a 9' 5wt rod and a reel to go with it. I have been looking at the orvis clearwater ii rod/reel combo? does any know much about this rod and reel? and is it any good? I have been looking at other makes such as TFO, reddington, white river etc but as im from the uk i have no idea what these companies are like. Ive gone for orvis so far simply because i know what im getting from them but im keen to find out more about other american based companies. Does anyone have any rod/reel recommendations?

I have thought about Sage and G loomis but i cant justify spending that amount of money, when i just want a fairly decent rod and reel for catching trout and bass. I dont want to spend anymore than about $370 (for rod/reel/line). If i can get a good set up for less that would be a bonus.

Any imformation would be great help. Once im sorted i can get out fishing.

Cheers

Rip Tide

Reaction score
They may be a bit out of your price range, but you might consider supporting your local economy and take a look at a Thomas &Thomas rod.
Made right there in Greenfield. They recently changed ownership and I don't know if they welcome visitors, but you could ask.

sorby

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I shall have a look at what you've mentioned.

I did have a quick look on the thomas&thomas website, i would love to support my local economy but cant justify the price.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Sorby,

Welcome to the forum and to the USA. :) There's plenty of flyfishing gear in different prices to select from.

Flyfishing may be expensive, but there are lower priced (but not lower quaility) alternatives. I've used stuff from Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops, and it worked nicely for me.

I had the Hobbs Creek combo (I was a bonehead for giving it away) from Bass Pro Shops. I liked the outfit and it was fun to use. I miss that combo and I just may purchase another one...but this time I'll line that reel with Cabela's "prestige plus" flyline and go out and have fun. I had the 7 1/2' model in 4wt...I caught plenty of largemouth bass and bluegills with that!

If you have the opportunity to visit a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops, please do...these stores have plenty of gear in different price points. For around $150, you can get a nice flyrod outfit.

Cheers,

Robert

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Here's another thought since you're interested in Orvis products.
The Orvis "flagship" store is in Manchester VT, a Sunday drive from you. ( less than 2 hours)
Not in main store, but in town in the old rod shop, is a discount fly fishing store where they have close-outs, returns, overstocks, that sort of thing.
It's a pleasant drive to get there, Manchester is a nice place to visit, and you just might find something you like

sorby

Reaction score
Here's another thought since you're interested in Orvis products.
The Orvis "flagship" store is in Manchester VT, a Sunday drive from you. ( less than 2 hours)
Not in main store, but in town in the old rod shop, is a discount fly fishing store where they have close-outs, returns, overstocks, that sort of thing.
It's a pleasant drive to get there, Manchester is a nice place to visit, and you just might find something you like
I shall have a look on google maps, and try and take a trip up.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Looks like they may have moved the fly fishing outlet into a general outlet store since the the last time I was there.

Edit...spoke too soon, it's still there.
It's called the Orvis Fly Fishing Sales Room and it's at 74 Union Street

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Sorby! Where in the UK are you from if you don't mind me asking? I have used my dad's hobbs creek 6wt and its a surprisingly good rod. However, I fly back from London tomorrow morning and as soon as I get a chance to use my newly ordered Allen rod and reel, I will almost certainly be spouting the Allen gospel more than I already am :) I don't want to make you wait for that review, I'm sure there are plenty of people that will suggest them even before I get to test my own set-up.