New (used) Rod Came Today!

jimbojo

Reaction score
I picked up a used Winston Vapor 9 ft 4 wt from ebay and it came in today. I took it in the back an was throwing 45 to 50 ft pretty easy (reel has WF5F) which is pretty good for me. I like the rod, it is in pristeen condition, as a mater of fact the reel seat didn't even have a mark on it. The guy selling said he broke it on his first trip and winston repaired it, but it looks like they replaced it to me. I know I don't get the warranty but for $140 bucks I think I am OK. I do have the option of trading this rod in ($175) at shop, could possibly pick up a Sage Vantage or maybe a St Croix Legend Ultra with warranty cards for a few bucks on top. decisions, decisions. I know this is a lower level rod, but it is a step up for me. Opinions welcomed.

James

oarfish

Reaction score
The lower end Winston would be the passport not the Vapor. The Vapor will cast longer with more accuracy then the Vantage which is a medium-fast action rod and the Vapor is a fast action and you paid less then half of new price for the rod. Your option about trading might change if you went and casted the Vantage. Overall IMO I think you got a good deal, good fishing.

Rick

Last edited:

canyon7

Reaction score
That rod would be a huge step up for me. That's more than i can afford. You did well sir. Congradulations.

pnc

Reaction score
Before trading look into its characteristics......... is it a rod that has a tendency to break that you've got. If not, and you don't have a tendency to walk with your tip down. Have fun with it, and think of the $ saved.

...... pc