Allen's new "myth" flyrod any early reviews?

Walter1023

Reaction score
I got email from Allen & Co. focusing on their new upcoming myth rods which apparently are not available yet. I also noted in the past they provided some rods to certain forum members for feedback ....just wondering if anyone has received and tested one of these yet ?

evan_aff

Reaction score
Walter,

Given the silence so far, I figured I would step in and let you know what's going on.

The Myth series has not been sent to anyone outside of our core group of testers (myself and a few VIPs/guides). There are a few members on the board who have our initial run of our NanoTi series, but not the Myth. The Myth is an updated, improved version of the NanoTi.

This rod is very light in the hand, has quick recovery in the action, and has an overall med-fast feel to it. It's slightly faster than our Xa series, but the lighter overall impression gives it a much more sensitive feel to it all around.

Walter1023

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Any idea yet of the price point range for the rod ? and when it will be available? Just curious as I'm always looking to increase my arsenal.

evan_aff

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Any idea yet of the price point range for the rod ? and when it will be available? Just curious as I'm always looking to increase my arsenal.
Pricing has not been released yet. But it will be just slightly above the pricing of the Xa rods.

gt05254

Reaction score
A.J., does your major professor know you fish 5 days/week? LOL, I bird hunted 100 days/year while working on PhD. But I was a Research Assistant, not a T.A., so I didn't have to fool with all those undergrads and a teaching assignment, although some of them..NEVER MIND!
Gary

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
If Allen wants to make me a beta-tester on the new line, I fish 5+ days a week for a variety of species, I would do my best to shoulder the responsibility :D
It is important for rod designers to get their prototypes into the hands of accomplished and analytical "field tester" anglers outside their immediate support group during the developmental process. Most of the big dogs do this but often make the error of using guides who fish but one habitat the same way most of the time. An angler that fishes diverse habitat frequently and is fluent in rod action versitility is a valuable asset. Only by getting outside critics to give input can designers escape the cronizim endemic among a circle of friends and develop superior rods and reels.

evan_aff

Reaction score
It is important for rod designers to get their prototypes into the hands of accomplished and analytical "field tester" anglers outside their immediate support group during the developmental process. Most of the big dogs do this but often make the error of using guides who fish but one habitat the same way most of the time. An angler that fishes diverse habitat frequently and is fluent in rod action versitility is a valuable asset. Only by getting outside critics to give input can designers escape the cronizim endemic among a circle of friends and develop superior rods and reels.
You are correct, and this is how we are approaching our rod development. I live in an area with an abundance of varied fishing opportunities unlike anywhere else in the country. This makes for a very thorough testing process in development, among a very diverse group of anglers.

evan_aff

Reaction score
We all look forward to learning more about your new rod series. Does it include a bonefishing model? Good luck
Haven't quite made it that far along yet in rod testing to release a bonefish model. It's definitely in the plans to cover as many varieties of rod styles as possible, and do them very, very well. So some more specialized rods are going to take a bit longer to get through the development stage.

evan_aff

Reaction score
My earlier comment was intended as a joke :) Gimme a few years before I can give valid feedback on a fly rod, until then I'll be happy with my Xa's :D
Hah, no worries. I'm hardly versed in the culture around this board, so I have to take everything at face value.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Evan, I see that the Myth is on your website in a limited line selection though you plan a full selection from 3 - 6wt and up to 10' in each. If that is so, I am excited.

PM coming...

evan_aff

Reaction score
Evan, I see that the Myth is on your website in a limited line selection though you plan a full selection from 3 - 6wt and up to 10' in each. If that is so, I am excited.

PM coming...
Dean,

We have made the Myth in a full line of sizes, but are getting ready to replace this series with a new, USA built series to be announced soon.