New Rod

mrdamminator

Reaction score
Sorry for the previous post and now this one but i don't know how to delete it. But anyways...

I am about to buy a new rod as I have been fly fishing for a while now on a $50 5/6 weight Pflueger rod combo. I am on a budget but am willing to spend around $200 for a new rod and reel combo that I can use for a while on from now. I fish for trout mainly on the Chattahooche River but would like to branch off to some streams (if you know any good ones in georgia around the marietta/kennesaw area?). I am considering:
1) Echo 1 rod with Martin Mt. Brook fly reel, a Cortland 333 Pro WF floating fly line, backing, leader, fly box and 12 flies for $205 (in a 3 or 4 weight)
2) Temple Fork Pro Series Rod and Lamson Radius Reel with Airflo Line Outfit for $235 (in a 4 or 5 weight)
3) Temple Fork Outfitters Finesse rod with White River Classic Reel for $229 (4 or 5 weight)
4) LL Bean Streamlight rod with Streamlight Reel for $159-179 (3, 4, or 5 weight)

Any recommendations for price and quality? I also cannot decide what rod weight to get. I think I have settled on a 4 weight so I can fish dries and nymphs but still feel the fight of the fish and enjoy it.

Thanks alot for any input.

Cowboy

Reaction score
I say this to everyone who asks about a new rod. Check out Orvis. Great rods.

wtex50

Reaction score
I would say the Echo or for sure Temple Fork are both good rods....not sold on the Martin reel though... I would check with Steve at the Full Creel and see what he can do.....He beats everyone I know on pricing... and I know he carries Echo and I think he also carries Temple Fork...IMHO you should also consider upgrading the line to the Cortland 444......you will notice the difference....good luck

ezamora

Reaction score
for stream fishing, i like a 4wt and have several 4wt rods i've wrapped myself. 3 wt rods can be nice but i usually use a 4wt line on mine. it all depends on your fishing conditions. i dont know your water and how big it can be. i fish sierra streams and small rivers in central california.

as for suggestions, wow, there are too many available right now but of what you've listed, i would suggest a temple fork rod. i have the 9' 5wt pro and it was a good starter rod and was used here and there when needed. the finesse intrigues me; i've heard good things about it.

as for a reel i would try to aim higher than that martin. i have a radius 1.5 from a few years ago. let's just say i highly recommend something from orvis. the "original" battenkill, at about $79, is a great deal. even their battenkill BBS for $20 more is a great deal and a very nice machined light reel if you need that.

i wouldn't worry too much about a line. get something good but it's not necessary to buy a premium line at this point. hook and hackle's hi foater line for $31 should work just fine for you unles the olive color is too hard to see (failing eyesight). rio's mainstream or classic line would be good too.

eric
fresno, ca.

mrdamminator

Reaction score
If i were planning to also pursue bass fishing and needed to throw poppers and streamers, do you think a 4 weight could handle that or should i go up to the 5 weight?
And im just trying to find a good rod that i can stick with for a time to come btu within a reasonable budget that is versatile - there are so many options out there that this decision is proving harder than i thought. Someone mentioned the three forks as a cheaper alternative but i think i am willing to dish out hte money to find a GOOD rod to last A LONG TIME.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
mrdamminator,
Steve carries a full line of TFO and Echo products that would suit your need well. Plus free shipping over $100 and a 21 day test drive plan is pretty hard to beat.

Here are some links:

TFO NXT Outfits
TFO Rods
TFO Reels
Echo Rods
Echo Reels

I would stick with a 5wt if you plan on bass fishing as well as trout. I have the TFO Pro and Echo 1 rods and both are great rods. Check out the TFO NXT Outfits. I think this will fit nicely in your budget. I have seen the fly rod and reel combos and they look to be very well made.

Let us know what you decide. I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

zerolimit

Reaction score
I'll throw small poppers and streamers with my 4 weight but if I had to choose one to cover the ground you are trying to, I'd go with the 5. You might like the 4 better for trout but as soon as you try to throw larger topwater bass bugs and streamers and add a little wind, you may find yourself under gunned with the 4.

I cast the TFO pro and Finesse and like the Finesse better. I have it in the 3 wt. but I also cast the 4 and 5. It's more of a full flex rod than the Pro so it's a matter of personal taste and preference.

My opinion on lines differes from the previous poster. Personally, I'd spend the extra $25 on a high quality line that works well with your selected rod and your fishing situation. I think it makes a big difference.

ezamora

Reaction score
not to be wishy washy here, but i do think premium lines can make a difference too. but if we're talking budget here, and from the recent post, it actually sounds like two rod combos should be considered if at all possible (a 4wt and a 6wt), then saving some money by buying good quality lines, not cheap stuff, and not necessarily the top $6o-$65 lines, might be something to pursue. for instance, with scientific angler lines, even the mid level lines around $30-40 can have AST coatings, one of the two nice advantages of the premium lines.

i tried bass fishing for the first time last month. from a float tube. it just seems like such a huge difference fishing a 3 or 4wt floating line with something like the finesse or other 8' 3wt rod and dries like i do, and the 9 ft 7wt rod i wrapped for the bassin'. the trout setup is a lightweight floating line, the other, i used a 7wt bass taper line, with a second reel set up with an 8wt sink tip line, tossing size 4 weighted bunny leeches and big ole poppers. i guess it all depends on the type of bass you're fishing for too and conditions and the fisherman. i can be somewhat of a (budget minded) gear whore! ;-)

if only one rod for now, i'd go with the 5wt. if you need it to do both, bass and trout, stream and stillwater, i might look at the TFO pro in the 9' 5wt version.

if you think you might "need" a third rod at some point and need to constrain purchasing, i would seriously consider learning how to wrap your own rods. that was the situation i found myself in and now i wrap my own in all weights for very good prices.

eric
fresno, ca.

mrdamminator

Reaction score
What is you guys opinions of the Winston Ascent and Sage Launch rods? Ive narrowed it down to them plus LL Bean rods in a 5 weight. Thanks.

Joni

Reaction score
Well the Winston Asian and the Sage USA, which is entirely up to you, I mean I have a TFO also, plus a few other Asian items with no complaints, but, if it were me I would go for the Launch out of the two. You should take a minute and check out the ECHO however...sweet stick.
I am going to agree with the couple of others on the line... I am going to say the reel might not be as important as the line itself.
Check out Cortland 333 or 444...great lines for around the $50. mark.
The better the line, the easier it will go through your guides. Specially floating lines.