Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: $200 to spend

1. Default $200 to spend

Hello,

I am pretty new to fly fishing. When I lived in Alaska, we bought a combo setup to mess around with. Now that we are back in Arkansas, I would like to get back into it.

I have $200 to spend. I have 2 old martin reels that I could use if i can't fit a reel into my budget. I'm looking at a 9' 5 wt rod for fishing mainly panfish and bass but might be able to make it up to northern Arkansas for a trout run. I am looking mainly at TFO and Echo rods right now. I would like to get a complete outfit, but at least need the rod, line and other things needed other than a reel. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to spend the remaining $60 on after the purchase of the rod. Mainly would like to know if it would be worth taking a lower end line in order to get a new reel, or if I should just tough it out with the old reel and just buy line for now.

Thanks,
    Chad

Default Re: $200 to spend

TFO and Echo both have great rods in that price range. Check out the Full Creel Fly Shop for both and a 21 day trail, free shipping and no tax.

Another option for you is TFO Combo which includes: rod, reel, line, backing, leader and rod & reel carrying case for $174.95. I think the Rod is either the Signature or Pro rods. Either one are great rods. That way your under you 2 c-notes and you will have enough for a few flies.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Terry
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

Hi charwoods3,

Welcome to the forum. Terry has given you some good advise for your price range.

4. Default Re: $200 to spend

I am going to agree totally with the ECHO and TFO, but Cabela's does have a sweet deal with all the fixin's. I do know a couple of gentlemen that have these and they are quite nice.
    Cabela's Genesis&#8482 Fly-Fishing Outfits

Welcome to the group! I would sooner have a decent old reel with a great line on it than a new reel and cheap line ANY day.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

6. Default Re: $200 to spend

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to order the TFO pro rod combo from cabela's before I made this thread. It came with one of their reels and SA GPX line, but they were backordered. I canceled that order and ordered an Echo with Cortland 555 Dyna tip line and some bass leaders from The Full Creel. I'll just use one of the old reels until I can get ahold of a better reel. I was hoping to get it before this weekend, but I haven't heard anything today, so it will probably be monday before I get my hands on it.

That is a really fine rod and I've heard great things about that line as well.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

8. Default Re: $200 to spend

Quote Originally Posted by charwoods3 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I tried to order the TFO pro rod combo from cabela's before I made this thread. It came with one of their reels and SA GPX line, but they were backordered. I canceled that order and ordered an Echo with Cortland 555 Dyna tip line and some bass leaders from The Full Creel. I'll just use one of the old reels until I can get ahold of a better reel. I was hoping to get it before this weekend, but I haven't heard anything today, so it will probably be monday before I get my hands on it.

Wise choice, I love that rod and I am gonna get one real soon myself.

9. Default Re: $200 to spend

I was just sort of in the same boat - what I did was order a Sage Launch rod and bought a fly reel on e-bay - totaled just over $200 and I am one happy fly caster