Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Echp Micro Practice Rod

Question Echo Micro Practice Fly Rod

Has anyone had any experience with this indoor practice fly rod? I'm thinking of one for teaching my wife the basics of fly rod casting.

Default Re: Echo Micro Practice Fly Rod

Hi Fly2Fish,

I have not used the Echo training rod. You can do the same thing by using the The tip section of a 2 or 3 piece rod. You probably could use the tip section of a spinning rod if it was a light line rod.

3. Default Re: Echo Micro Practice Fly Rod

The Echo Micro Practice Rod has been selling like crazy. Its been hard to keep them in stock

4. Default Re: Echo Micro Practice Fly Rod

I have only heard of the Echo versions; however, I have used the the Joan Wulff Fly-O. The Fly-O uses a short rod complete with snake guides and EVA foam grip. Attached at the grip and running through the guides is a length of red "egg yarn" which when cast creates a slow loop that drifts like real line. It's kinda cool.
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Fly2Fish,

I have not used the Echo training rod. You can do the same thing by using the The tip section of a 2 or 3 piece rod. You probably could use the tip section of a spinning rod if it was a light line rod.
    Good idea, Frank. But would you use regular line? From viewing the pictures in the link Aztec Angler provided, it looks like the Echo uses some sort of yarn as practice fly line. That also sounds like what Keebranch said about his use of the similar Joan Wulff Fly-O practice fly rod.

Fly2Fish,

I was thinking you could use regular line. If your guides and tip top are large enough you could use yarn.

7. Default Re: Echo Micro Practice Fly Rod

I looked at this gadget on line....not to be the naysayer but in my case I fish everything from a 3wt up to a 10wt, every rod I own has diffrent characteristics and I udjust my casting stroke accordingly to get what I want out of the rod. I guess i just see this as another thing id have to adjust to in order to get tight loops and soft presentations. There is no substitute for the real thing. lessons work no matter how good you are. It almost reminds me of some of those golf training aids my brother used to purchase, all of them are collecting dust in his basement.
    " They may take our lives,,,,but they'll never take our freedom!"

Shocktrooper32,
    I think you're right, but I wasn't going to use it myself but just as a rank beginner training aid for my (so far) non-flyfishing wife . . . and maybe later, my kids as well. And boy are you right about golf training aids. I've got almost as many of those in my attic as I do drivers - in both cases, reality triumphing over hope!

9. Default Re: Echo Micro Practice Fly Rod

Gotcha, I would suggest saving your money and instead investing in Mel Kriegers DVD collection on fly casting, His stuff is user friendly and easily understood by adults and kids alike, he has DVDs on casting from the ground up. I actualy learned to spey cast that way. I plan to use it as an aid to train my Son on more advanced methods, hes 9 and thinks that Mel is funny so it keeps his attention. Just a suggestion
    " They may take our lives,,,,but they'll never take our freedom!"

Hi shocktrooper32,

You are right about Mel. No one does it quite like him. I have his early tape and really enjoyed his presentation. He is just so easy going and pleasant to watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast