Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tfo--or--echo

Default Re: Tfo--or--echo

Keep in mind that comparing the TFO Pro and the ECHO 2 ain't really apples to apples price-wise. Just wanna throw that out there for info.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

2. Default Re: Tfo--or--echo

True, but you are getting two rods (so to speak ;-) and price wise it is close to two TFO LOL.

3. Default Re: Tfo--or--echo

I decided I'm getting a 4wt next instead of replacing my dinky old 6wt. I've been seriously debating this very question. I really like what I've heard about both rods now, but I'm leaning toward the Echo 1 (classic???) 8' 4wt. But then, I'm in dfw so in the event that I did break a TFO rod, I could just drive it in instead of worrying about shipping costs.

Could one of these 4wt rods throw my larger size 2 clousers and poppers for LMB or are these rods just too weak for these flies?

You will not find a 4wt fly rod that will throw size 2 poppers and clousers well. In fact, thats the top end max of what I would ever throw on a 6wt.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

You will be under gunned with a 4wt to throw big flies and poppers like you are talking about. A 7wt or 8wt would be a much better choice. You might get by with a 6wt but like Cliff said you are at the rods limit. Casting heavy flies with a rod that is too light is not any fun.

6. Default Re: Tfo--or--echo

Ok, thank you. That's what I was thinking. Oh well, just means I'll have to go buy myself another rod and reel in addition to the 4wt.

-Matt

I have cast the TFO and I can tell you that the Scott V2 is better than both, has the lifetime warranty and comes with the tube. Scott wins this hands down.

8. Default Re: Tfo--or--echo

I went to the Park tonight and met Dec Hogan. Watched him cast (SPEY or TWO HAND) with a proto type 13' ECHO 8wt. WOW! I got to play around with a 13' 7wt and 4wt. They are soooooo light and smooth. Got a basic Spey cast down and it is so effortless. I could throw 70' of line off the water....EASILY!
    My choice is still ECHO and I will wait on pins and needles for the SPEY rods to be introduced to the public. 13' 6wt. SOLD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12