four vs six piece rods

noirwest

Reaction score
I'm looking over a TFO Professional Series rod to learn on and hopefully fish a few seasons with. I'm thinking nine foot since I'll be using it on small lakes and larger ponds more than the brushy stuff so the longer length shouldn't be a problem. A lot of the fishing up here happens after a few hours of walking. Usually, no, make that, always uphill walking. A 4 piece rod should pack down nicely but I see this rod also comes in six sections as well. Uhmm, guess my question is if there are advantages besides breakdown package size to a six piece rod? It does seem like there would be more fussing around with alignment and keeping things seated with the extra joints. Guess the main issue here is would the action be about the same?

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I don't think that action would be an issue, but if you're looking at the 6wt, I can say that I've hiked with the TFO 6pc and found it pretty handy. It will take longer to assemble, but it will be shorter stored. There's your difference.

Cheers,
--Rob

bakerboy2222

Reaction score
I've hiked 3+ miles and 2000+ vert feet for good fly fishing and I've never had a problem carrying a 4 piece rod. I simply stuck the rod tube inside my pack and had it poking out of the top. It was a 7.5 footer, but I've done the same with a 9 footer, just not that kind of hiking, though I have carried two 9 foot rods in a pack up a river (wading). I see that the 6 piece rods are $60 more. Action would probably be impacted making it slower, but very little to the point I would consider it a non-factor.

Personally, I see no advantages to it. I do however see a $60 disadvantage.

I have no experience with 6 piece rods or with TFO so I can only speculate on the action difference. I've only noticed action difference between 2 piece and 4 piece rods.

Good luck on the purchase!

cattech89

Reaction score
The latest and greatest technological innovations have had an impact on multiple piece rods and the impact they have on the action of a rod.
I can't speak for the TFO rods but I have cast the Redington CT line of rods and the difference between 6 and 4 pc, in my opinion, was almost nonexistent.
That $60 difference is hard to swallow. However, its always best, if possible, to match your rods to your application. If you want a pack rod a six piece will be more compact and easier to beat through the bush in.
There's my half-nickel...

noirwest

Reaction score
Yeah I can see the packability award going to the six piece but I never travel by air so that negates that selling point. The four piece seems about as packable and in the end I've got to find examples of them in a shop so I can stand there and wave it around like I know what I'm doing. I bought a few spinning rods online over the years and always wind up selling them or giving them away due to some or other little fault in feel or handling. Don't want to do that anymore and especially with a rod as expensive as these can be. Or expensive to me, at least.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I have a 6pc Redington CT in a 5wt. I like the rod alot but for me the extra joints aren't worth the campact size. I'm realigning the sections a few times on a full day of fishing. I don't to too much hiking so my 4pc rods break down far enough for me.

mrfzx

Reaction score
If you talk to the manufacturers, they almost universally say that the more sections any given rod has the faster the action becomes. But from 4 to 6 sections probably will not be enough to matter. 2 to 6 sections would probably be noticable enough to matter.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I consistently fish two Jim Teeny TFO, 10 foot rods. One in 5 weight and one in 7 weight. I find the compactness of the 5 sections wonderful when traveling, especially when flying.

Last edited:

swirlchaser

Reaction score
If you talk to the manufacturers, they almost universally say that the more sections any given rod has the faster the action becomes. But from 4 to 6 sections probably will not be enough to matter. 2 to 6 sections would probably be noticable enough to matter.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I consistently fish two Jim Teeny TFO, 10 foot rods. One in 5 weight and one in 7 weight. I find the compactness of the 5 sections wonderful when traveling, especially when flying.
Homer,

How would you compare the Jim Teeny rods to the TiCr or TiCrx?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I would go with the 4pc. After swinging doors, the most common breakage of rods occurs at a loose ferrule. Though better than they used to be, extra ferrules do effect the feel of a rods action. And, at 4 pieces the 9' rod is already quite backpacable and also legal as airline carry-on. A compromise that has been well reviewed is Albright's 5pc. rods...at least worth a look.

silver creek

Reaction score
I would go with the 4pc. After swinging doors, the most common breakage of rods occurs at a loose ferrule. Though better than they used to be, extra ferrules do effect the feel of a rods action. And, at 4 pieces the 9' rod is already quite backpacable and also legal as airline carry-on.
I agree. I don't need anything more than a 4 piece.

I will say than an odd number of pieces like a 3 or 5 piece does place the middle part of the rod away from a ferrule and may be less prone to break than if a ferrule were at the midpoint. I once broke two 4 pc Sage fly rods just above the middle ferrule ON THE SAME DAY, which makes me think there may be real reasons for a 3 vs a 4 vs a 5 piece depending on the action of the fly rod.

caseywise

Reaction score
if it were entirely up to me, all my rods would be 2 piece. but i do allot of traveling, so the 3 or 4 piece rods are much more convenient.
i still have a couple 2 piecers, and absolutely love em:D
as far as 5,6,or 7 piece rods....,perhaps in an extreme space restricted situation.

casey

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I still have lots of two-piece rods and often use them when fishing near home via car. I intend to cast the One Piece Hardy Zenith at the up-coming Somerset Show and if it blows my socks off...

Nearly all my newer rods are 4-piece; it is what mfgrs. like to build now and are necessary for plane travel. However, like Silver above, I thought 3-piece rods were the bomb during their brief stint of popularity...no ferrule in the middle of the flex curve, short enough to take on a plane and smoother than 4-piece models (I thought). The gone but not forgotten Diamondback "Stu Apte" 3-pc. rods were tough as nails and, though a bit heavy, were a delight to cast from #4 all the way up to #12 tarpon size. The original and seminal Redington "Nti Nanos", also 3-pc. were deligtfully light and crisp, developed unreal line speed and were the most communicative rods of their time. It pained me substantially when a companion's ill timed grab of my leader butt broke my #8 Nano at the butt ferrule while landing an Andros bone...but these rods were fragile sports cars not off road trucks like the Diamondbacks.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Homer,

How would you compare the Jim Teeny rods to the TiCr or TiCrx?
I have both the Teeny and the TiCrx in the 9 ft, 4 piece, 12wt versions. The Teeny definitely does not have the backbone of the TiCrX, especially in the butt section, but they definitely have enough power to get the job done. The Teeny has a very nice tip section, that is more sensitive than the TiCrX. Although, in the situations where I fish my 12's I really don't think the tip sensitivity is an issue! The Teeny is lighter, and has a much nicer swing weight to it IMO. The Teeny also has a bit slower action than the TiCrX, and for me it is easier to cast....if you can call a 12wt castable. If I am in a situation where I am going to have to muscle some big nasties, or cast a lot of line into very stiff wind, I use the TiCrX. Almost everywhere else I use my Teeny.

I really like my Teenys (spelling?? Teenies??), but my rep has been trying to get me to switch to one of their other models since the Teenys are sold exclusively via the Teeny people themselves now. I just can't seem to do it.
The 10ft TFO Professionals are good rods to be sure, and when I've cast them at the shows, they have performed well.....but they're not the Teenys. When I find a product I like, switching is like....well, losing a pet or something.

Okay, this may be a bit shallow, but I really like the tranluscent green of the Teeny Rods versus the Matte Black of the TiCrx's.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

I would go with the 4pc. After swinging doors, the most common breakage of rods occurs at a loose ferrule. Though better than they used to be, extra ferrules do effect the feel of a rods action. And, at 4 pieces the 9' rod is already quite backpacable and also legal as airline carry-on. A compromise that has been well reviewed is Albright's 5pc. rods...at least worth a look.
Sweet, you definitely hit the nail on the head with that one. Putting rods together correctly is SO important. Most people are way too timid when putting the ferules together. A friend snapped a TFO Heavy Duty Blue Water rod (rated up to 16 weight) on a 25 lb cuberra snapper (not the target fish by the way). It snapped right at the front ferrule because she didn't have it seated deeply enough. She was afraid if she pushed it together too hard she would split the ferrule!

Last edited:

noirwest

Reaction score
For the record after an afternoon into evening multiple fly rod waving around session I decided on a Reddington Pursuit five weight in four pieces. I tried Ross rods and several TFO rods and really, at this price point about the only difference that stood out to me was weight. Being new to this even the more expensive rods felt about the same cast-wise but were really, really lighter. I'm sure as time goes by I may branch out. But then again there's that whole "I'm a really cheap ******* thing" I have going on so I may just make the best five weight rod caster list....