Sage Rod Chart Old to New

cthomas2

Reaction score
I was having a hard time deciphering all the model names old and new in the sage lineup. I found an article that gave a history of sage and I have done my best to make a timeline of the rods from sage over the years. I am not an expert by any stretch and there are undoubtedly errors in this list. Despite that, I thought it may be helpfull info for anyone looking at older or new sage rods. I ran out of energy and left out the current Spey and Switch rods from the list. If anyone has corrections or additions I would be happy to correct and re-post so let me know if there are changes.

Oh, and here is where I found the article:

The Sage Fly Fishing Story

Est Year Model Description
1982 -RP -Reserve Power for long Casts
1982 -GFL? -Graphite II
1985 -RPL -or Graphite III RPL High Performance
1985 -LL -Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?)
1986 -RPLX -Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 -DS? -Spey ?
1986 -TH? -Double Handed ?
1997 -SPL -"Best of show" new rods
1997 -RPLxi -Revised and improved saltwater
1999 -XP -Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action
2003 -SLT -Medium Fast Action
2003 -TCR -Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2004 -Xi2 -New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 -TXL -Near weightless for light lines
2005 -Fli -Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer
2005 -Launch -Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio
2006 -VT2 -Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 -Z-Axis -Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 -BASS -Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 -ZXL -Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 -TCX -Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current -ONE -Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current -VXP -Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current -Flight -Great features and a great price
Current -Vantage -Medium Fast value rod
Current -TXL-F -Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current -ZXL -Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current -Xi3 -Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current -99 -Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current -BASS II -Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current -ESN -Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Correction 1 thanks to oarfish.

DS = Discovery Series

1982 RP Resaerve Power for long Casts
1982 GFL? Graphite II
1985 RPL or Graphite III RPL High Performance
1985 LL Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?)
1986 RPLX Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 DS Discovery Series - Moderate Action
1986 TH? Double Handed ?
1997 SPL "Best of show" new rods
1997 RPLxi Revised and improved saltwater
1999 XP Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action
2003 SLT Medium Fast Action
2003 TCR Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2004 Xi2 New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 TXL Near weightless for light lines
2005 Fli Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer
2005 Launch Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio
2006 VT2 Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 Z-Axis Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 BASS Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 ZXL Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 TCX Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current ONE Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current VXP Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current Flight Great features and a great price
Current Vantage Medium Fast value rod
Current TXL-F Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current ZXL Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current Xi3 Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current 99 Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current BASS II Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current ESN Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies

ausablebrown

Reaction score
You are missing at least one, though you mentioned its replacement. Where does the VPS fit into the timeline?

cthomas2

Reaction score
I'm ready to ad VPS, VPSL and RPL+. I'm not sure what to put in the description field. My Guess is that VPS is a mid priced rod.

dhayden

Reaction score
I'm ready to ad VPS, VPSL and RPL+. I'm not sure what to put in the description field. My Guess is that VPS is a mid priced rod.
I thnk the RPL+ was the direct predecessor to the XP?

Can't remember what year I bought it..

chuck s

Reaction score
That GFL was a blank designation that meant Graphite Fly Rod and all blanks were GFL perhaps even unto today.

The RP (gen II Graphite) was the first "model," in the Sage Rods circa 1980 or soon after followed in or around 83 or soon after by the RPL or (Gen III Graphite) The LLs came along in or around 85 with the RPLX following in 86 and both were Gen III Graphite. Some time following these or perhaps the same year the RPL+ came out and then in 1994 the SP series hit the market followed by the SP+ in about a year. These were the highest modulous rods yet and built with Gen IV graphite and a new material called Durascrim. :thmbup:

In 97 they dropped back to Gen III I believe and the VPS, the SPL and the RPLXi came out and then in 99 the XP. In 2002 the SLT and TCR, and 2004 Xi2 were the first rods using G5 Gen5 Graphite technology. 2005 brough the TXL, Launch and the the Fli rods all G5 rods. 2006 brought the VT2 replacing the VPS not mentioned above but which came out in the late 90s.
2007 Z Axis. 2008 Bass Series and the ZXL. 2009 the TCX.

Whew too many years have passed since I first sold Sage!!!:eek: On a side note the Gen IV super fast modulus graphite was the highest modulous rod since Fenwick intro'd the Iron Feather and as best I recall both were a Don Green design as he'd come to Sage in 79/80 from Fenwick/Grizzly.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
This is a great thread. I'm personally very interested in Sage rod history and have started collecting older Sage models. This is the first list that is as comprehensive as this.

Just a couple of observations, the XP and the SLT did "drop back" to GIII technology but the graphite is GIIIe. I'm assuming the "e" has some significance for point of discussion, especially since it replaced the GIV and the only line of rods that incorporated Durascrim. I personally don't know what it means.

The LL rods were also rolled with GIII blanks but I don't know when they switched from GII to GIII.

The VPS and the VPS Light were added to the discussion. My understanding of the VPS Light is that it was built with the same taper and design as the GIII LL rods, with lesser components. So yes, it is a "lower end" rod, so to speak, the description of the action would be moderate. I'm not sure on the straight VPS.

There is much I don't know. Your list helps!

Cheers,
Mike.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Just adding a bit to the data base.

As Mike points out, there were two different Sage LL series releases. The first was out somewhere during the run of the graphite II RP and its blank stated that it was graphite II. The second was introduced during the run of the graphite III RPL ( Reserve Power Light ) and it’s blank also stated it was graphite III. If you had both generations of LL’s say in a nine foot, five weight configuration you’d be able to notice the butt diameter difference foreword of the cork ( The G II versions butt would be thicker ). The action of the graphite II LL was stiffer than it’s successor and the G II's were heavier. Actually, there were three LL series of rods, if we include the re-release of select models ( I think the 389-3 or 389-4 was one of them ) of the G III's that were produced as a special run some years after the G III's were discontinued.

But then if we include those LL's, we might as well say that there were two XP series', since a special run of limited models were produced for two retailers ( One being Cabela's, a sponsor here ), well after the original XP's had been discontinued from the Sage line-up.

A rod that is missing from the list was only around for a short while. It was the MA series or Medium Action and was only available in a few models. It utilized an unsanded gray blank, and very simple hardware. It was basically an entry level rod that came in at around $125.00 mark. If memory serves, it was out near the end of the RP’s reign or possibly early in the RPL's time..

Then there is the one pictured here. It’s an early Graphite I series and it has no series designation. From memory, it predates the RP. For those that don’t know, the letter “B” that follows the word Graphite simply designates that it was produced to be sold as a Blank and not a factory finished rod. This particular blank was rescued from a closeout bin at Pete Wooley’s old shop, Fly Fishing Outfitters ( Now known as Leland’s, a sponsor here. ) in San Francisco, CA in 1985 and was built and fished for a few years. It’s currently slated for a rebuilt, whenever I get around to it….although I’ve been saying that now for quite a few years.

Bogged down in minutia, TT

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Great job on a great company whoes founders introduced the very first grahite rod in 1974 under the name, Fenwick HMG. Besides adding the SP, which was the top-of-the-line rod for a while, there was an extra-fast version called SP+ as well.

Last edited:

cthomas2

Reaction score
Do you have any more info about the fenwick HMG?. I inherited one from my grandfather but I can't find much about it.

cthomas2

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody. Here's the current updated list

1980 GFL Stood for Graphite Fly Rod. Used alone and in conjunction with other model names for years. Not really considered a model name.
1982 RP Reserve Power for long Casts Graphite II
1982 LL Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line) Graphite II
1983 MA Medium Action Entry level unsanded grey rod with simple hardware
1985 RPL or Graphite III RPL Reserve Performance Light
1985 LL Graphite III LL
1986 RPLX Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 DS Discovery Series - Moderate Action Replaced the RP
1986 TH? Double Handed ?
1994 SP Generation IV Graphite with Durascrim
1995 SP+ Generation IV Graphite with Durascrim
1995 RPL+ Faster than the RPL. Would be considered moderately fast by todays standards
1997 VPS Replacement for the RPL Back to Gen III
1997 VPSL Replacement for the LL Gen III with lesser components
1997 SPL "Best of show" new rods*Gen III
1997 RPLxi Revised and improved saltwater*Gen III
1998 DS2 Lower Price point Graphite II or Graphite III Not even close to sure about the year
1999 XP Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action Gen IIIe
2002 SLT Medium Fast Action Gen IIIe
2002 TCR Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2003 LE Entry Price Point Rod
2004 Xi2 New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 TXL Near weightless for light lines G5
2005 Fli Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer G5
2005 Launch Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio*G5
2006 VT2 Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 Z-Axis Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 BASS Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 ZXL Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 TCX Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current ONE Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current VXP Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current Flight Great features and a great price
Current Vantage Medium Fast value rod
Current TXL-F Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current ZXL Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current Xi3 Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current 99 Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current BASS II Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current ESN Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies